mechanics for new pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
I have finally decided to replace my small preformed pond with a larger pond with an EPDM liner. I'm hoping the excavator can come this week. However, I really need help with what pump, skimmer, etc. I need. The pond will be about 9'x6'x2' with a shelf, so about 750 US gallons. There will be a bog behind it (about 5'x2.5'x1'). I am thinking in terms of a skimmer on the right end with water feeding through the bog and from there to a stream which circles back down to the pond. The preconstruction grade is a drop of 8" back to front; the water will be at the lower level and the back retained. So the water will need to be pumped up from bog to the top of the stream, at least a foot, but possibly I'll raise it a little more.

I would be so appreciative of help with the plumbing. A skimmer would be good given the surroundings. I like the look of Laguna pumps (for their energy efficiency) but am very ignorant of all this and would be very grateful for help in deciding what pump, how big a pump, what skimmer, how to get from pond to bog and bog to stream, etc. etc. I have just a few goldfish.

Many thanks!

View attachment 79350

Attachments

• P1020478.jpg
    P1020478.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 224

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Just make sure your pond sides are high enough so stuff does not wash in and make sure you have an overflow area so water can flow out of pond but not wash fish out of the pond .In construction I did a post on pumps and filters .i have 2 laguna pumps and a laguna aerator and no matter what the power says for watts they hit a sweet spot and use less .Remember to buy a big enough pump .You can always divert water that is extra some where else .Bogs I have no clue on don't have one and i don't have a skimmer ,Remember fish will have babies so don't get to many .You will also need a water test kit and bacteria to get the pond filter started

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would suggest a smaller size skimmer, maybe one rated at 2000 GPH but large enough to house a 1500 GPH submerged pump as you want to turn the water over at least once an hour but twice an hour is better. You would pump from the skimmer to the bog and allow the bog to gravity flow to the stream and back to the pond. You can install an overflow in the skimmer so if you get to much water in the pond it will exit the skimmer. Just make sure you can deal with the water at the skimmer or pipe it somewhere (maybe a garden bed). Hope this helps and it's just my opinion.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like Savio skimmers. Plumbing I like PVC flex pipe with schedule 40 fittings. I would "Y" the plumbing so you can control the flow to the bog and stream separately. Sounds like a fun project, good luck

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Thank you for the responses. Anxiety is overriding fun, but hopefully I'll get there ! :) One of the things that throws me is the level, the back being 8" higher than the front.
Yes, I was going to ask about both edging and an overflow, Sissy. I see in some books, people using bricks for this; I suppose one could just build up the soil a little there? Don, that's good to know I can attach an overflow to the skimmer. Do you buy them separately or are they part of it?
I can't have the bog gravity-feed to the stream because the head of the stream has to be at a higher level than the bog so the water can flow back into the pond. I hadn't thought of splitting the feeds for the bog and the stream! That sounds like a great idea. Just trying to picture that - there would be flex pipe that would come out of the back of the skimmer where the pump is (I've never actually seen a skimmer), and run along the outside of the pond. At the bog it would have a Y fitting and one length would go over the edge of the bog and be run as Addy describes in her article. The other would carry on to the head of the stream. The bog itself would need to be higher than the pond, so the water could flow back into the pond visa gravity, or.... ? Do the pipes in the bog feed back into the pond? I need to reread the 20 pages of addy's thread on bogs, and take notes this time.
It's a godsend having you experienced folks to ask for help!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use a drain that is for the yard it comes in green and now finally they sell it in black .I just put it in a low spot and sealed around it with PL roofing goop and then put window screening over it held on with a stainless steel clamp .I do use my toilet bowl brush from the dollar store to brush the muck of the window screening .I had the same set up in my pond before I rebuilt in March of last year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Sissy, you mean you cut a hole in the liner and put a drain pipe through it to carry away any water that reaches that level? It is amazing that there is roof "goop" that is not toxic to fish or plants! So much to learn.

Ask a Question