Resource icon

Medications for Use in Ponds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave 54 submitted a new article:

Medications for use on pods - Important information for both the novice and more experianced

Salt is the original treatment our forbearers used way back in the 1900 and before
1)Salt that is safe for use in treating fish should contain as few additives as possible. Pure vacuum dried salt, medicated fish salt or plain old cooking salt are acceptable. for use.
However table salt contains too many additives for use in the pond or QT systems infact. thee use of salt in the quarantine tank is best as it eases the load on the kidney of the fish, which is vitally is important when your...

Read more about this article...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What about the new plant based medications .I got a great one from pet solutions .Worked on my neighbors sick fish when the others failed .He had ick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You have the Melafix and thats tea tree oil based, but I cant think of many more sissy , I'll hve to look into it and get back to you :happy:
But if you have the names we can always add to the article if you wish :happy:

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sabbactisun is what I used .Never heard of it but gosh it worked really fast on him .I wish I had taken pics of him before in the stock tank and 3 days later completely clear .I will keep him the stock tank for awhile longer ,I am just not sure how long .Tammy came up to look because she could not believe it .His tail looked pretty bad .I am not sure how long he had it since I have been trying to let them take care of the pond themselves .I just hope none of the others have it .He is in the basement stock tank with a small pump and just a pressure filter going .It did not change the color of the water either .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
All of the medications listed in the article, when used properly, will have the desired effects providing the diagnosis is correct. I disagree, however, that these medications should be used to treat an entire pond as the title implies. In an eco-system pond, blanket use of any of these medications, especially bactericides, can prove disastrous as they reduce/eliminate not only the pathogenic micro-organisms but also the many beneficial organisms that are needed to keep an eco-system balanced, including the Nitrifying bacteria. All fish medications should be administered in a separate, isolated holding tank.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Since Dave wrote up the article, if he wishes I can change it to medications to treat pond fish, or whatever title you all think would describe the article better.

Ask a Question