Modifications to a waterfall and brook that leaks like a seive

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I discussed this in a previous thread (https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/spring-feed-waterfall-and-brook.16454/). Instead of reviving the old thread I'm starting a new one to have anybody interested to critique my plan to repair this 1970 installation. I've attached some pictures of the waterfall/brook as it looks today and I've had the spring flow diverted away from the waterfall since late last fall.
I'm not going to tear too much of the existing structure out since it's been there for forty plus years. In the deeper waterfall section I'm going to pour a concrete floor and walls to about 3" above the existing water level that is controlled by the spillway at the at the brook end of the deeper waterfall section. I'll carry the new concrete over the spillway to create a new shelf establishing the deeper section water depth. I'll end up with a horizontal ledge all around the deeper section about 3" wide which I'll use to fasten the liner to with terminal bars. I'll form a large radius on the inside edges of the concrete ledge to put less stress on the liner and cover the ledge with rock to hide the liner and terminal bars. At the waterfall I'm going to cut back the existing rock to the concrete block wall behind it and attach the liner there vertically with terminal strips then fill the void with stones and foam.
The brook is a series of 1" thick flatstones overlapped which cause the water flow to cascade down the brook. I'm pulling the rock out on each side of the brook and adding sand on the sides. I'm leaving the flatstone and putting carpet over the flatstone and then the liner and replacing the rock on the side to hide everything

The first picture is before I diverted the spring water flow away from the waterfall/brook last fall.
pic3.jpg

This is three pictures of the current waterfall, first is the same view as above, next is at the water fall and last is at the spillway to the brook
waterfall reno 1.jpg
waterfall reno 2.jpg

waterfall reno 3.jpg

The reason for all this is the leaks have raised the water table under the patio above the frost free depth and caused the bar and elevated deck corner post to heave so around 1.5", the last 2-3 hard winters. We're replacing the paver patio with stamped concrete and I want to eliminate the frost heave issue. We will also add some french drain fingers below the frost depth when we excavate for the concrete base.

Ask a Question