JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Has anyone ever tried planting more than one type of plant, specifically marginals, in the same pot? I was just thinking about what I may do, or try, with plants this year and I thought I might give that a try. It might be kind of cool to have a couple pots next to each other with two different types of plants in each, so it looks like four species of plants growing in the same spot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do it all the time - sometimes on purpose, sometimes accidentally. I'm not always really careful when I'm dividing and separating plants and things get potted up together. But I love the more natural look of plants intermingled with one another.

I've also been working on getting most of my plants out of the pots and planted directly on the ledges. That also happened rather by accident. I had a fabric "pot" where the plants that were in it had literally burst out of the sides. I cut the fabric off, intending to repot the plant. I realized that the roots had completely encased the potting soil and gravel in the pot and the whole thing was one giant mass. I chopped it in half and set the halves back on the shelf, flat side against the pond wall. It worked great and the plants continued spreading and growing. A happy accident!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Companion planting creates a neat effect where the plants are well chosen for their 'get along' features.

Something growing upwards and tall, something scrambly and horizontal at the water surface, something that flowers either earlier or later in the season will provide some successional interest. Jotting a list of favorites by growing habit might help plan a 'trio' position e.g.

Tall: mini papyrus, iris, Mini cattail

Spreading: Creeping jenny, parrots feather, pennywort

Successional: Japanese rush, Golden Club, Marsh Marigold

Planning in trios would help make postage more efficient as a trio might well trot wherever for the price of a one pound usps parcel from a special interest nursery

Regards, andy
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/media/users/adavisus.3206/

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very interesting! I'll definitely be trying it out when the season arrives. I think that will greatly improve the look of my pond!

Ask a Question