MY BOX TURTLE HABITAT & "TURTLE BOG"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought I would post a few pictures of the "turtle bog," since I haven't really been doing that. Since I'm considering a major change in the configuration, consider these "historical documents." :)

image.jpg
This is an early-season collage showing a few plants and a few inhabitants. FYI, in the top pic, there are 4 fish [when the water level is high enough, they can swim through the lattice holes, and into the "turtle bog." Turtles don't bother them.] The turtle you see is "Turbo."

image.jpg
Showing the "girl" side -- see how everything has grown!

image.jpg
The "boy" side.

image.jpg
Early-season shot of area dividing the sides. The PVC pipe is the water from the pump to the "bog" distribution.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
A few more views, including a look back into the turtles' homes. "Boys" live on the left, and my only girl lives on the right. Had 2 girls, but one disappeared 2 years ago....

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
That's a really cool set-up TM, Guess I've never seen it up that close. to bad the PVC frame isn't holding up, I do like how the fish came come and go and the turtles have their own private habitats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Very Nice! I had a Box turtle show up at my pond this weekend but don't see it anymore, It can stay though! Will they eat Water Lettuce?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Only if they can get to it Jason, They don't usually get in water that is more than a inch or two deep. Not a ideal depth for water lettuce or hyacinths to grow in.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks nice the way it is but onward and upward if you must :biggrin:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I went and looked and you have a lot of work to do and hope you will get it just the way you need it so those critters can be safe and happy!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
That's a really cool set-up TM, Guess I've never seen it up that close. to bad the PVC frame isn't holding up, I do like how the fish came come and go and the turtles have their own private habitats.
It's not so much that it isn't holding up, but more that I'm afraid of what time will do to it. It probably wouldn't be an issue, except that I like to mess with the plants, or stand in the bog area to have access to the pond-side of the fence. That adds my weight. Plus, there's that not knowing what goes on underneath. Are there toxic materials that build up? Is that why I occas. lose a fish? I know the fish go under there for shelter....

Yes, one of the "build" ideas I had was to make it so the fish could swim into and interact with the turtle environment. That's why I used that vinyl lattice material, so the fish could come & go through the holes. Not sure if they spawn in there, but I do know the frogs love it!

And the separate habitats are so we don't get any more little baby turtles! Also, all of these guys are siblings, so am trying to be genetically responsible with them. Eventually I will take some away from the "girl" side and add that to the "boy" side, as the amt of space per turtle is disproportionate. I started out with 2 girls, but one of them disappeared, so my only girl, "Alphie," has that WHOLE place to herself!.

Ask a Question