My cheap Winter pond De-icer (testing it this winter)

Reaction score
I looked at pond de-icers and they are expensive and use way to much electricity plus they don't circulate any water or areate so I don't see the value in them.

I'm in Zone 5A and temp will drop to -31F or -35c for a couple of weeks or days in the middle of winter so it doesn't get much colder than this.

I have input from others in my zone that the solution is simple to keep ice open with only a pump aimed at the surface.

I put this together using the following pieces
- Aquaclear 50 pump 11watts
- aquarium airpump 1 watt
- riser for undergravel filter (pre-filter for the power head so it doesn't clog (already happened since I dropped it into the pond)
- also added outdoor electical box to keep the air pump and extension cord under the deck in a water sealed box.

Pic's of the pieces and assembled solution
Siliconed power head adaptor to riser tube to ensure it doesn't fall off in the middle of winter under the ice.
DSC02999.jpg

full assembly with airstone tie wrapped to the powerhead power cord to keep it in 1 place.
DSC03000.jpg

sealed box with air pump and electricty
DSC03003.jpg

working in the pond waiting for ice, it's sit's on the plant shelf 12" under the water so it doesn't draw warmer water from the bottom of the pond where the fish stay.
DSC03005.jpg

Will post how its working once I get ice, which can't be far off now.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Can you do a video of this in operation, starting with you putting the assembly into the pond so we can see it and then the results? We love to see this kind of innovation.

Reaction score
I changed the design at bit. The silicone was not very secure and the pre-filter detached. It had fully cured. I used a drill to put a small hole through power head attachment and tubing and used a good old lockable plastic tie through both pieces to attach it. This won't detach now.

Pic's of new pre-filter setup
DSC03073.jpg

DSC03074.jpg

Video of how it looks and what it does when submerged on the plant shelf about 12" under the surface. The humming sound is the air pump in a water resistant electical box.
[ame]

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Just a sugestion. What if you were to use a larger diameter clear tub attached to the power head and install a submersible aquarium heater inside the tub? The water would flow into the tub and around the heater and be circulared more efficiantly around the pond.

Also, some of the power heads that I have used in my aquariums in the past had a port at the top to attach a air line for aireation.

Reaction score
The hydro required to use an aquarium heater would cost a fortune since they are designed to keep the entire body of water a specfic temp and they won't stop cycling on until the entire pond reaches that temp.

A pond heating de-ice is only trying to keep a small open and not heat all the water. I don't think an aquarium heater makes sense when ice forms on a pond.

I do like your idea of connecting my air pump to the powerhead air input as this will help keep the whole open better with the water and bubles raising together in the same spot. I will try this tonight.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I respect your opinion, but I had a 150 watt submersible aqaurium heater next to the intake of my water pump in the skimmer/pre-filter reservor, and it kept the water temps in my 365 gallon pond above freezing even on those nights when the temps dropped down into the teens. It was quite efficient, and it didn't cost a fortune.

Just letting you know what worked for me.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Thank you, I'm always open to new ideas that work well. I really enjoy reading the postings here, because I have overcome some of my own pond mistakes by reading and asking questions here at this forum.

Reaction score
Ice and snow has arrived finally. Thought I would post how my solution is working so far. 11 watt pump and air pump has kept 25% of the pond ice free.

DSC03286.jpg

Reaction score
I will keep an eye on it. I don't expect an issue but if I do, I can get a powerhead cheaply from any LFS.

I figure the water temp where the pump is now is as cold as it's gong to get since any water below freezing temp is ice.

Reaction score
I use AQUAEL floating pond heaters,made in Warsaw.They are 300 watts each and they heat my 2 ponds of 1000 UK gallons each all Winter.They have a cut out thermostat,are robustly built and really do the job.They are not expensive and I consider cheap to run.I leave filters running and the waterfall toned down.The heating bill will be about 75GB pounds more than normal.
I love the fish and want them all to survive in comfort.Today all the fish were feeding and active,my plants flourish also.As long as you keep the ponds covered the heat does not dissipate - my ponds are covered with raised frames,but I leave the overlap of Bubble and Tarpaulins down each side.
I cannot praise these heaters enough and so cheap.

Reaction score
You should not be recommending a 300 watt heating solution in a climate with an average temp well below -10c. It seems you are living where the average temperature is above freezing almost all winter. 300 watt heater in my climate would cost a lot to operate and it would be cycled on most of the time. It would cost a fortunate to heat the water to keep them active and feeding let alone trying to trap heat anywhere with sub freezing temperatures. The fish are cold water and fully adaptable to cold water.

So far my 11watt solution is working fine at -10c and keeps a 12" diameter hole open in the ice.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't think the issue here was cost but survival and quality of life for their Koi. If folks don't care about cost then they should decide that for themselves. It is not our place to judge.

No one is challenging the fish's ability to survive cold temperatures.

Ask a Question