Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a

TK6

Reaction score
Nice pond! It's very similar in size and construction to the pond I inherited with the new house. I will probably use river rock on the bottom of the pond too, despite the added effort in cleaning. (Until I dig and make the pond deeper.) I like the idea of having the skimmer/waterfall/bio-river as the sole filtration system. (Will have to see how much bio-load it can handle with the help of manual bottom cleanings.)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nice pond! It's very similar in size and construction to the pond I inherited with the new house. I will probably use river rock on the bottom of the pond too, despite the added effort in cleaning. (Until I dig and make the pond deeper.)

I'm sure you know there are two schools of thought on rock-bottom ponds. Our pond is rocked and we have no issues with cleaning it. The bottom gravel is a shallow layer that we can easily stir up to release any built up silt or sediment, but honestly there's rarely anything TO stir up. We like the way it looks and do believe it adds a positive aspect to the ecosystem of the pond.

Imatation Crab

800 gallon pond
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a

Ask a Question