My filters... (repurposed)

Reaction score
Last year when I began my excursion into ponds, I had this little pedestal style filter/pump/nozzle setup. I hated it with a passion, I decided to replace it with a submersible pump, and make my own filter.

I researched youtube. It's one of my favorite reference tools. I like the flopper videos best, where things don't work, and how to fix them... but that's another topic. I found people creating 'biofilters' in containers, and after watching a video or two, I found the perfect setup to use in a Tidy Cat litter bucket.

Basically water is fed into pump via PVC, angled 90 degrees to 2 inches from bottom, where I placed a T and two 90 degree angles. This creates a little circular motion to the water in the bottom of the bucket. I then have a basket with approximately 1/4 inch mesh placed between T and inlet. You want basket to touch bottom of bucket, with at least 2 or 3 inches of space for water. On top of bucket I placed green nylon scratch pads. Like... 200 of them. I buy then 10 in a pack for $1 at the dollar store. I use the 3x5 size ones, color doesn't matter. I leave them in stacks, and place them on a side, instead of layering. This lets some water flow completely between pads, and some is forced threw... then I put shower scrunchies as many as I can jam in to fill the bucket. a piece of window screen to cover to keep them from blocking the bucket outlet, and that's my bio filter.

This isn't the video I used for inspiration, but shows the setup perfectly.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested. I take a lot of pictures during projects so I can see where things went wrong!

I used this same concept, inside a 4 quart lock and lock container, you can see it in this picture in the lower right.

pond2.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just used lava rock from a garden center but gave up on the top to bottom set up .i use you tube a lot also .That method did not work good on an oval stock tank .I just put my lava rock in dollar store laundry bags .Easier to take out if needed to clean it a little .I like to grow plants in my filters because it really helps to clean the water

Attachments

• pond 5-21-2014 008.JPG
    pond 5-21-2014 008.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 231

Ask a Question