Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hey everyone!

It's been awhile. I'm back in my hometown for the summer since the semester ended, and I'm pretty sure my fish are getting ready to spawn. My largest female looks like she's going to explode. I can explain farther, but being a filmmaker, I prefer using videos to show things. Here is my planned set up for when the fish spawn:

I'm still trying to find some food for the fry. There's not a lot of brine shrimp salesmen here in Nebraska. Anyway, I'll keep you updated with what happens.

Thanks!

-Zack

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Great video, obviously a "filmaker"! How are the spawning mops created? Looks like you used soda/water bottles, but what is wrapped around them? The mop head, I assume? I tied my mop heads to a string on the edge of the pond, but like your idea to have them free floating in the pond, too. Good luck with your pending spawning! My goldfish spawned (one of them did anyhow) about 2 weeks ago, but have not seen any others do so since then.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
How are the spawning mops created? Looks like you used soda/water bottles, but what is wrapped around them? The mop head, I assume? I tied my mop heads to a string on the edge of the pond, but like your idea to have them free floating in the pond, too.
Actually, it's just regular yarn draped over it and zip-tied. I used koikeepr's example here: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/cheap-diy-spawn-mops.3754/ but I used bottles instead of cork.

I was right, they spawned this morning. I will upload a video later.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Will be fun to watch this thread and see how many babies you get! You do know that the goldfish and koi could have intermingled, right? ;) Either way, sounds like you are a pro, and know what you are doing. My goldfish spawned, I watched the action, and the "eaters" were right there with the female and males fertilizing her eggs. I put a string mop in the area where they spawned just in case a stray egg or two hatches, the fry may fine refuge. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Zack well done on becoming a parent my friend and I love the adaptions to another idea for spaning mats .
However are you in danger of loosng the eggs in the holding area you have them in simply because it is far to shallow [we pray not] but it may be a problem in the near future ?
Our QT tank /breeding tank is all of 3ft in depth and has its own filter, venturie, 15 UV-C to cover these eventualities powered by a blagdon 2000 wet or dry pump.

Dave

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Update:

It's been cold here. I'm not sure the eggs are going to make it through. I threw an aquarium heater into the pool but I'm not sure it is enough. Will keep you updated if anything develops.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Glad to see your fry made it. Mine spawned on Monday and the n the snapping turtle moved into the hatchery! Still have fry in there and it seems like a lot of fry in the pond. Hopefully you will have lots as well.

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Well here's an update for you guys. I have probably a hundred fry swimming in the pool now. They all seem healthy and happy. I also added some more mops with eggs into the pool. The current fry might eat the hatchlings, but they will still have a better chance than the actual pond.

It's too soon to tell colors, but you can definitely tell the difference between the light and dark base colors. The majority seem to be dark in color. I hope these are koi, but I'm starting to worry that they might be goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Zman if you notice in your video it is raining hard , from what we know about koi spawning it normally occurs at this time.
But in saying that I may well be off the mark [not having bred ourselves before now , not until we get the QT unit set up for fry] .
What are you feeding these little guys by the way my friend?

Dave

ZmanArt007

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have fed them egg yolk flurry and crushed food and they are getting along fine.

Here is an interesting discovery. Some of the fry appear to have long bodies but compound/fancy tails.

I have one Oranda, one Moore, and one Ryukin, and 7 or so common/comet goldfish. Is it possible that I may have accidentally made a poor man's version of Wakin goldfish?

Ask a Question