My koi is sick? I don't know what it is

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello, I recently noticed one of my koi's scales look infected. I tried looking up online on what it could be but I don't want to get the treatment wrong. I took some photo's hopefully you can help & what should I do? None of the other fish are having issues. Sorry if the photo's are blurry, its really hard to get a good photo. The red koi is the one having issues.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If I'm looking at the picture correctly, I see a pink area near one of the bottom fins. Are you able to put this fish in a separate tank, for observation? Do you have access to a microscope?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If I'm looking at the picture correctly, I see a pink area near one of the bottom fins. Are you able to put this fish in a separate tank, for observation? Do you have access to a microscope?
I don't, but I might be able to use the one at the school. It is pink- it looks like a scrap and the top part is going white.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It looks as though your fish has a areomonas hydrophila infection coming on alice at the moment its in the early stages but if not treated then an ulcer will apear and you will have all sorts of trouble like pineconing of its scales leading to dropsy.and may even loose your fish .
Your going to need a good antibacterial treatment to combat this .
Firstly however we need to know why you have had an outbreak ?
It is more than likely that you have an overcrowding issue or poor water qaulity even tmperature fluctuations can cause the fish to be come stressed this causes the bacterua present to develope in to a problem .
YOu have done well to catch it early and in the early days a good off the shelf bacteriacyde should do the trick but you need to act fast because if this continues to develope it is going to cause you alot of problems .
The best way to prevent this in the future is to run as clean a setup as possible employ good husbandry of the highest standard.
If you start to loose scales then your koi will end up with scaring which is for life ,
As I previously said speed is of the essence in treating it .

Dave

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It looks as though your fish has a areomonas hydrophila infection coming on alice at the moment its in the early stages but if not treated then an ulcer will apear and you will have all sorts of trouble like pineconing of its scales leading to dropsy.and may even loose your fish .
Your going to need a good antibacterial treatment to combat this .
Firstly however we need to know why you have had an outbreak ?
It is more than likely that you have an overcrowding issue or poor water qaulity even tmperature fluctuations can cause the fish to be come stressed this causes the bacterua present to develope in to a problem .
YOu have done well to catch it early and in the early days a good off the shelf bacteriacyde should do the trick but you need to act fast because if this continues to develope it is going to cause you alot of problems .
The best way to prevent this in the future is to run as clean a setup as possible employ good husbandry of the highest standard.
If you start to loose scales then your koi will end up with scaring which is for life ,
As I previously said speed is of the essence in treating it .

Dave
Thank you so much!, I will begin treatment right away! :) keep you posted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much!, I will begin treatment right away! :) keep you posted.
Not a problem Alice but remember you must address other issues to overcrowding or poor water qaulity temperature fluctuations al need to be sorted out .
Is your tank near a door this can cause temperature fluctuations check your feeding regiem only as much as they can eat in 5 minutes.
What filtration do you have on the tank it may not be up to the job remember you have caught this early speed of treatment is paramount .
Did I suggest any books you should buy to help you undetand our hobby if nor please feel free to ask for them educate yourself and you wont go wrong in the future

Dave

Reaction score
Country
Canada
we got Melafix medicine for the tank. (treats bacterial infections)
I will keep you guys posted on how our fish is doing. So far it's day 2 and it already looks alot better.
Thank you again for the help! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
we got Melafix medicine for the tank. (treats bacterial infections)
I will keep you guys posted on how our fish is doing. So far it's day 2 and it already looks alot better.
Thank you again for the help! :D
alice personally I would have bought something other than Melafix personally but thats me.
I really dont rate it as a treatment not in a pond situation anyway remember for future problems that there are many other good bacteriacydes out there and many other good treatments other than Melafix .
However it is a treatment for bacterial infections its not in a pond but a tank and as you report it is doing well thats good news.
Have you noticed any other fish with the same problem ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
alice personally I would have bought something other than Melafix personally but thats me.
I really dont rate it as a treatment not in a pond situation anyway remember for future problems that there are many other good bacteriacydes out there and many other good treatments other than Melafix .
However it is a treatment for bacterial infections its not in a pond but a tank and as you report it is doing well thats good news.
Have you noticed any other fish with the same problem ?

Dave
nope, none of the other fish got infected. and they are in an aquarium not a pond. what would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A good off the shelf bacteriacyde would have been my first choice alice of which there are a few .

Dave

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
How big is that tank? I assume you will put these fish in a pond in the very near future?

Ask a Question