My new bike

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Got stolen a week ago :mad: from my front porch. I did not lock it that day because I was in a hurry but that's not an excuse :(

So I got this bicycle for Christmas and it's my first real 'brand new' bike I got that I enjoy riding it so much. I rode to work most days since January even in the cold :) I got to used it for only 3 months and when the weather is so nice for bicycle ride, someone stole it from me :punch:

My stolen bike :( 2013 Trek FX 7.2 WSD
Main.jpg

So after a week of mourning (and still do) I'm going to buy another new bike. I know I need to buy an equivilance or better bike (but I cant afford it now) so I wont hate the new bike becasue it cant live up to the one that got stolen... so I decided that i'm going to go with this one

Giant Escape 2 W
Escape_2_W_DD_white_gta.jpg

Has anybody own a Giant? what do you think of it? I tested ride and it was nice but it's just a tad heavier than the Trek.

I'm still looking for my bike on the road / someone's back yard every day. I gotta stop so I need to buy a new one.

Anya

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sorry to hear. Not much I can help you with. I love riding too, 500 miles over the last two summers. I wish everyone who was healthy enough would ride rather than drive. It helps the environment, its cheaper, and such a great workout!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry you lost your bike.
My hubby and I both have Trek bikes. Don't know about the Giants but you could check out the reviews on the net.
We love to ride all over and take them w/ us when camping.
My hubby has been riding his everyday that it's not pouring out here when he starts his ride. Comes home wet at times but he will dry :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks :) I dont really like biking before but with the new bike I felt free and enjoyed the ride so much so when the bike got stolen I was so upset. And the fact that I cant afford another one like it (which I got it while it was on sale so I really cant afford a full price of it too)

I read that Giant's been a manufacturer of the leading brand's bike frame anyway that's why they can afford to sell it cheaper. People who own Giant love them but they are not as popular in the US. They are very popular for International though.

I'm just wondering how they hold up. And I think i'm going to buy it today ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We have a Giant brand bicycle, but it's an electric assist.
Still, we found the quality of the bike to be very good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK you can have the frame under where the pedals are stamped by the Police with your Post code / your zip code , it doesnt stop them being stolen but it does give you the chance of getting it back should the Police come across it on a raid to a drug dealers house or crooks house.

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I ordered it today :) won't go back, the Giant it is.

Mitch, yes I heard they have good bike, just not as popular as trek but about same quality for a cheaper price.

Dave, that's what the police said too, they can only get it back if they somehow found it somewhere. I have the bike serial number registered with the trek site, that's only thing I can do right now.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I wish I would have seen this earlier, I would have recommended
http://www.bikesdirect.com/
I have been riding mountain bikes for years, but recently decided to buy my first road bike. Through some ragbrai forums, I learned about this website as a decent place to buy a cheap beginner bike. I ended up buying a $400 that has the same comments as a lot of the$1000 road bikes. The only thing I didn't like was that I was spending $400 on something u couldn't see or sit in in person before purchasing.

Reaction score
Darn people to hell who take things that are not theirs....I mean how low have people sunk that we cannot even leave something unlocked on our own property....what a shame. I hope you will take this as a life long lesson to always lock up your bike/valuables. Bikes are the number one item that gets stolen....that was a nice bike too. Good luck with the new bike.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It just a reflection of the state of our respective countries they are making countless people unemployed especially in the armed services etc , people are stealing simply to make ends meet its as simple as that , they have become desperate......
Our break in in 2012 was by a junkie who is a repeat offender he should be given a choice get off the drug or stay in prision until he does .
Governments are also to primarily to blame look to Bush he took the US down the pan as did Blair in this country Cameron is making it even worse by his assault on state benefits in the UK accusing all to be cheats both the work shy and the disabled including people like Val and myself .
Whilst I appluad what he is trying to do with the work shy he is going about the disabled in the wrong way the best and easiest way to check to see if what they are saying about health and disabilities would b to simply check peoples hospital records not spend untold millions with ATOS who are supposed to be checking our claims but it now appears have walked away from it .
We should not have gone down the track of invading Iraq nor Afgahnistan because I have a feeling the bankers crisis in both our countries was just to hide the fact that our Political masters had in acctual fact bankrupted both our countries due to the near 20 years of conflict Quite Simply "IT COSTS TO FIGHT A WAR", something that after two world wars you'd have thought we would have learned, Putin now looks to us as being weak thats why he did his little invasion after the winter Olympics .
There are untold thousands of people here in the UK who can thanx to the changes by Cameron and his elk now having to resort to food banks to survive would you believe people with disabilities are now looked on by the able bodied as cheats thanks to Nazi Like propagnda put out by this sorry excuse for a government in the UK , there is a climate of fear now for the disabled people of the UK.
So look to your governments they could create jobs but refuse to do so because having unemployed workers is how they work .
Weve become the kicking post for this government , wonder who will be next in line I've a feeling they'll be accusing the old for living to long in a moment.
"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGTHER THE PROUDLY CLAIM", hell you never see a polititian go short of anything do you yet when they get caught stealing from the public purse they say oh sorry I forgot if we did that it would be "GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL", the more our countries go down the pan the more your going to see property being stolen .
So the good old days we all remember of leaving your door unlocked or window or as you found leaving your bike on the Porch (as we did) are now long gone, the more people are starting to hurt the more they will be tempted to steal drug addiction or no .
So the next tme you vote remember who got the county in such a mess not just our governments of the moment ,but successive ones going as far back as the 60's

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The police and other people here said that the bike most likly got stolen by kids or substance abused around the neighborhood and is probably sold as soon as they can to get a quick money. I'm trying to let go of my anger and look forward to the new bike instead.

ididntdoit99 -

I know about that site as I was thinking about buying the bike online since Chistmas but everybody I talked to said I should go ride it first. So I went to the bike store and glad I did. The first bike I was going to buy was the Urban type of bike which when I tried, I did not like it at all and the bike that I ended up buying I didnt even pay attenion to that kind of bike before but it made me very confident when ride.

How was your $400 bike you ordered? I hope you like it :) My Trek was on sale so I got it for $500 (from $549) plus all the adds on it came out to $600. With free tune up and 1 year maintainance (so I ended up getting more out of my money than if I'd buy from online) - but that's the bike shop in Asheville (4 hrs away)

I decided that I like to buy local and help the small business :)

The Giant will be $420 (from $500). And I also got free first tune up ($70 value) and 6 months of maintainance. quite a good deal.

My bike will come next week. Cant wait :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks colleen, may be I'll check there. My husband told me not to go looking at the pawn shop, he said he did that once and it was madness for him so he told me to let go and get a new bike.... it's a mother's day gift for me (I wish I was getting more fish for the mother day :( )

Reaction score
It just a reflection of the state of our respective countries they are making countless people unemployed especially in the armed services etc , people are stealing simply to make ends meet its as simple as that , they have become desperate......
Our break in in 2012 was by a junkie who is a repeat offender he should be given a choice get off the drug or stay in prision until he does .
Governments are also to primarily to blame look to Bush he took the US down the pan as did Blair in this country Cameron is making it even worse by his assault on state benefits in the UK accusing all to be cheats both the work shy and the disabled including people like Val and myself .
Whilst I appluad what he is trying to do with the work shy he is going about the disabled in the wrong way the best and easiest way to check to see if what they are saying about health and disabilities would b to simply check peoples hospital records not spend untold millions with ATOS who are supposed to be checking our claims but it now appears have walked away from it .
We should not have gone down the track of invading Iraq nor Afgahnistan because I have a feeling the bankers crisis in both our countries was just to hide the fact that our Political masters had in acctual fact bankrupted both our countries due to the near 20 years of conflict Quite Simply "IT COSTS TO FIGHT A WAR", something that after two world wars you'd have thought we would have learned, Putin now looks to us as being weak thats why he did his little invasion after the winter Olympics .
There are untold thousands of people here in the UK who can thanx to the changes by Cameron and his elk now having to resort to food banks to survive would you believe people with disabilities are now looked on by the able bodied as cheats thanks to Nazi Like propagnda put out by this sorry excuse for a government in the UK , there is a climate of fear now for the disabled people of the UK.
So look to your governments they could create jobs but refuse to do so because having unemployed workers is how they work .
Weve become the kicking post for this government , wonder who will be next in line I've a feeling they'll be accusing the old for living to long in a moment.
"WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGTHER THE PROUDLY CLAIM", hell you never see a polititian go short of anything do you yet when they get caught stealing from the public purse they say oh sorry I forgot if we did that it would be "GO STRAIGHT TO JAIL", the more our countries go down the pan the more your going to see property being stolen .
So the good old days we all remember of leaving your door unlocked or window or as you found leaving your bike on the Porch (as we did) are now long gone, the more people are starting to hurt the more they will be tempted to steal drug addiction or no .
So the next tme you vote remember who got the county in such a mess not just our governments of the moment ,but successive ones going as far back as the 60's

Dave

Absolutely hit the nail on the head with this one, its desperation that is leading people to do the heinous things they are doing. People need to eat to survive and the how is it possible that 10 people own 95% of the worlds wealth....how did we allow that to happen. People are starving and dying while these trillionaires are living in mansions all over the world....it makes me sick.

I also absolutely agree that the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq were stupid and ridiculous, I hope whoever thought up the idea goes to hell and suffers for eternity. Millions of lives lost looking for something that did not even exist, millions of woman and children slaughtered by "getting caught in the crossfire".....im sorry, I should not even get into this but it strikes a nerve every time someone brings it up......im going to end this by saying may all those who had a hand in the war be given judgment by god.

Ask a Question