My pond photos

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, same here. High in 40's, lows in 20's tonight and tomorrow, then warming back up close to 60 for Friday. This bouncing back and forth is really irritating. I wish it would stay cold, and when it warms up, stay warm. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, Lou, I had to look up Gambusia .... minnows, huh? They look like guppies but then most minnows do look very much like guppies. When I was a kid, my dad would go golfing at the country club, us kids would go swimming at the pool, and I almost always went down to the lake with my minnow net and caught thing ... mostly minnows and frogs, sometimes a baby turtle. Every now and then my mom would let me bring home a jar with minnows in it, when I begged that they were ready to have babies and they would all die in that lake. I had an aquarium at home. I think I convinced her they were "free guppies" a time or two.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
CountryEscape said:
Haha, Lou, I had to look up Gambusia .... minnows, huh? They look like guppies but then most minnows do look very much like guppies. When I was a kid, my dad would go golfing at the country club, us kids would go swimming at the pool, and I almost always went down to the lake with my minnow net and caught thing ... mostly minnows and frogs, sometimes a baby turtle. Every now and then my mom would let me bring home a jar with minnows in it, when I begged that they were ready to have babies and they would all die in that lake. I had an aquarium at home. I think I convinced her they were "free guppies" a time or two.
Morning CE, while the two are related the true Gambusia is a specific species. Like Guppis, Gumbusias give live birth. I had no idea there were so many minnow related species. Have a great day my friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnow

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
On Sunday I moved my lotus from the bottom of the main pond back to it's home in a whiskey type pot that holds water. While out today checking on it I saw new growth starting so it looks like it is going to make it. This is the lotus that I started from seed last may so hopefully this year I will get some blooms. My water lillies are also starting to grow and the bog is growing like crazy, looks like I will have to thin it out in a few months once everything is filled in. I have this one plant in the bog that is almost over running all the other plants but I can't remember what it is called. It sends out runners all over the place, last year some were even growing over the edge of the bog that I had to trim back.

I am now thinking how I might begin a small carnivorous bog. :biggrin:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good you are having good luck w/ them. I gave up and will just have to enjoy all of yours and others that can grow them. My water lilies are really starting to send the pads up. I may need to give them some fertilizer soon so I can have some nice blooms all Summer.

Those carnivore plants are cool and guess lots of them are very hardy too!

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Todd, Any chance you got mint from Addy? I put it in my bog and it's going nuts! So far this year I have already removed three wheelbarrow loads out and in fact removed a full one tonight and there is more still in the bog than I started out with last year. It's pretty and smells good but it's over running the whole area.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Todd, Any chance you got mint from Addy? I put it in my bog and it's going nuts! So far this year I have already removed three wheelbarrow loads out and in fact removed a full one tonight and there is more still in the bog than I started out with last year. It's pretty and smells good but it's over running the whole area.
that stuff does go crazy, I pull it a few times a summer, but nothing like you are saying. It is mainly in one area, maybe my other plants keep it under control

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
No I didn't get any mint from Addy, I think this stuff gets about a foot tall if I remember and does flower. On the attached pic it is the plant in the front center which is spiky with whitish flowers that grow up a spike. This was last years pic in the summer.

Attachments

• P1040210.JPG
    P1040210.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 202

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
taherrmann4 said:
No I didn't get any mint from Addy, I think this stuff gets about a foot tall if I remember and does flower. On the attached pic it is the plant in the front center which is spiky with whitish flowers that grow up a spike. This was last years pic in the summer.

That is obedient plant, mine is purple, surprised yours is white, spreads by runners, if I get too much I just yank it out.

http://gardening.about.com/od/plantprofile1/p/Obedient_Plant.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, man, I like the way that looks. I don't have anything like that. I was going to guess parsley/celery, clover, penny wart. All of these grow well and spread by runners, too. Also cattails. I have all of the above, if you're looking for more plants for your bog. T'mann. I'm giving them away, just ask for postage in return. All of the above are really light weight except the cattail, which has larger root systems. Let me know if you're interested in any of them. I'll be pulling lily pots this weekend, too. I put an ad in the Classified section, hoping to get a few more takers before I start separating and thinning out. Otherwise, will be tossing a lot, which is fine, too, but would rather share if anyone is interested.

Ask a Question