My pond photos

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here are some pics of the second pond that fed into my larger pond via a creek used to look like when I first built it. I redid this entire section into just a creek that feeds into my larger pond and now I am rethinking of putting the smaller pond back in. It was only about 12" and I was fighting all sorts of algae issues with it but now I know a lot more and have my pond more established that it was probably a mistake to get rid of it. I could have a lot more different marginal plants in there. So today when I am out starting the pond back up I think I will be looking at how I can put it back in. You would think it would be easy but I have two trees that weren't there before and lots of other landscaping.

My wife is going to think i have an illness if I tell her what I want to do, she might even try to admit me to mental hospital :wacko:

Attachments

• DSC01111.JPG
    DSC01111.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 267
  • DSC01121.JPG
    DSC01121.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 325
  • DSC01120.JPG
    DSC01120.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 321
  • Pond July 08 (2).JPG
    Pond July 08 (2).JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 307

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here are some pics of the second pond that fed into my larger pond via a creek used to look like when I first built it. I redid this entire section into just a creek that feeds into my larger pond and now I am rethinking of putting the smaller pond back in. It was only about 12" and I was fighting all sorts of algae issues with it but now I know a lot more and have my pond more established that it was probably a mistake to get rid of it. I could have a lot more different marginal plants in there. So today when I am out starting the pond back up I think I will be looking at how I can put it back in. You would think it would be easy but I have two trees that weren't there before and lots of other landscaping.

My wife is going to think i have an illness if I tell her what I want to do, she might even try to admit me to mental hospital :wacko:

We all have that illness tmann, my honey wonders sometimes too..............

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you really dohave a beautiful pond and landscape....what sucks is having the pond addiction, but not being able to afford the FIX...... i want to redo mine so bad !!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Todd your pond is great.
Thanks Pondlover

you really dohave a beautiful pond and landscape....what sucks is having the pond addiction, but not being able to afford the FIX...... i want to redo mine so bad !!
Thanks koiguy. I am hoping it won't cost me anything but the cost of the liner to put the small pond back in and build the bog. All I need to do now is discuss the plan with my wife and start planning. That also means hauling more rock, it never ends!

I started up the pond today and as soon as the water started falling into the pond from the waterfall the fish were all swimming toward the falls as if in a trance. It took the koi a little longer to get moving again, but they eventually started moving around and eating the stuff that was washing down from the creek into the pond. I think they are happy to have the water circulating again. The water temp is 52 today.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow tmann when I see the drastic changes you have done to make your pond and property so beautiful I start to feel like I am getting more of that pond virus you are talking about. We keep passing it all around between each other! My hubby always is saying "you want to do what and add what and why do you need more?" And "those pond peeps are giving you too many ideas and then he always ends up trying to do this and that to help me, like w/ my new electric boxes, he dug the trench and went back and forth to the stores 50 times trying to get just the right items. He does good work tho. Too bad I can't give him the virus of actually building more ponds or a bog etc. Some people are immune to it tho I guess,lol!

herzausstahl

herzausstahl
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Thanks Herz.

We do have some sort of garden walk we went on one year but 90% of these were professionally done and I like to see what the DIYer is doing so mine would not fit into that group. Now we have a pond walk in one weekend in the summer but we have been on vacation the last several times it has happened.

My yard has been 8 years of work, there are still a lot of things that I would like to do but I am running out of yard! :rolleyes:

The ones around here are a mix, some have professionally done parts but the homeowners are involved in some part of the yard, but my favorite ones are the ones like yours that the person did themselves. We've been at this house for 7 years, but only landscaping it for 6 and only seriously for 2 years so I am just getting started. Luckily my lot is almost 17,000 square feet so I have plenty of room to work with. :) I wouldn't worry about running out of room, you sound like me in that 99% of the stuff you put into your landscaping isn't permanent and can be redone/removed/etc if you want too. I always tell my wife that I will never be done comepletely because I will always want to tweek something, but for me that is the fun in it. The only thing I don't think I will ever do is to dig up my stream/pond to make it bigger/change the design because of all the work involved with it. Of course I should say not as long as my children are still young. :)

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sissy,
The first two pics are the same pond different angle. When I first built my pond I had the one large pond with buddah in it and this small pond they were connected by a creek. I took out the small pond and part of the creek. Made one long creek from the filter (that you can see in both pics) to the big pond. I redirected the creek so that it runs right along the walkway. I kept about a 10' section of the old creek (pic 3) this still has a little bit of water that is fed into it and runs into the big pond. the last pic is how it is now as you can see it runs along the walkway and the water comes from the same filter, in the same spot as it did before.

What I am thinking now is to put back in a smaller pond about 12-18" deep but only about half as big as it was before. Not sure if I will go this route or not as I also want to put in a bog.

Attachments

• DSC01121.JPG
    DSC01121.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 245
  • DSC01111.JPG
    DSC01111.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC01986.JPG
    DSC01986.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Misc pond (3).JPG
    Misc pond (3).JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 217

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I really like the small stream from the small pond to the bigger pond and since you planted there it could be a lot of work .We never think about it until we look back and realize that it did look good and now that we know more it could have worked .I guess we live and learn and pics help us look back and see it in a different eye also .It seems you never see what is right in front of your face .I watched you video and everything just looks so lush and tropical .I ordered my new plants

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
By putting a small pond back in would also give the frogs a place to live, as my frog population has declined in recent years and I think this might be due to the number of fish / koi in the big pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know my aggie kills frogs .I put out a concrete tub for them to lat there eggs in and you could put out one of those tubs in your landscaping some where hidden .I had to take the taddies down to the creek .I just hope it is not as bad as last year but there are a lot of them already making noise here .I know they are beneficial but too many is too many .I saw 2 by my pond and a couple when I was down by the ditch landscaping it.Scared me when one jumped out of the ditch pipe .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have to ask you is that a premade waterfall box or did you use tank adapters to do that .I like that set up and it may work with my pond as the round one I have only can take 1 adapter ,because of it's shape and worrying about weakening that area and causing cracking .It is a sturdy tank but not that sturdy that it would not worry me to no end

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh ok can't afford that but may try something similar .I never thought of turning a tote to that angle and doing more outlets

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yeah, I would make a home made one. The water flows in from the back through some spray bar, then passes two different matala like filter pads then finally to some bio balls and then out to the creek.

Ask a Question