Nasty Stuff in Settling tank

Reaction score
This video shows the bottom of my settling tank just before and during opening the drain valve.
Note the hydrogen sulfide bubbles rising when disturbing the settled muck at the bottom.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Eew! How long has it been collecting? Is your tank a DIY, and if so, can you show how it's made; how it connects and all? You have a BD, correct?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Is the water coming in from the top or he bottom of the pond. This is making me want one. All I got is a skimmer.

Reaction score
Eew! How long has it been collecting? Is your tank a DIY, and if so, can you show how it's made; how it connects and all? You have a BD, correct?
Is the water coming in from the top or he bottom of the pond. This is making me want one. All I got is a skimmer.
That muck must have sat in the bottom of the settling tank for some time to produce that much SO2.
I think it has been about 3 weeks since I last opened the drain in that settling tank. This is the first time I have ever seen any of that white mold like growth on top of the collected debris at the bottom of the tank, and is what prompted me to get a better look at it by sending my GoPro video camera down there to get a look at it.
Yes I have a 3" bottom drain in my pond which flows directly to to that conical tank and enters from the right hand side (as seen in the video). The water enters at an angle which sets up a clockwise swirl motion to the water in the tank. I have a fine mesh bag over that pipe which collects the larger debris and any fish, frogs, etc.. that happen to get sucked down the bottom drain. The heavier stuff that makes it through the bag settles to the bottom of the tank while the lighter stuff flows towards the outlet pipe located near the top center of the video. Normally I have a screened tray over that outlet pipe to capture more of the debris but it was removed for the video. So there is 3 mechanical type filters in that tank,,,, The mesh bag,,, the settling action,,,,, and a final screen on the outlet pipe.
Some pictures of the tank taken during the install.
full

full

full

The frequency of cleaning the various parts filters in the tank varies with the time of the year and how busy I am, but by far the mesh bag collects the biggest majority of the muck and I usually try to remove it and clean it a couple times a week. Especially if I notice the water level in the other tanks starting to drop. I also like to remove and check that bag frequently to make sure there are no fish or critters caught in it.

Oh and I posted this video before, but this is how the muck from the bottom of the settling tank is drained.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mucky_Waters Thanks a bunch! Now, where does one obtain the funnel-shaped container for a DIY? I've seen retail tanks and they are more expensive than I would want to get into. I don't have a BD, but do have a solids-handling pump, so I know that my crud will be pretty chopped up by the time it makes it into a SC, but at least it would be going somewhere that I could more easily remove it [as opposed to my Skippy].

Reaction score
@Mucky_Waters Thanks a bunch! Now, where does one obtain the funnel-shaped container for a DIY? I've seen retail tanks and they are more expensive than I would want to get into. I don't have a BD, but do have a solids-handling pump, so I know that my crud will be pretty chopped up by the time it makes it into a SC, but at least it would be going somewhere that I could more easily remove it [as opposed to my Skippy].
I did a bunch of google searching of plastic conical tanks before I finally found a place close enough that had the size tank I wanted for a reasonable price. Keep in mind the stands that they sell for or with those tanks to sit on often cost as much or more than the tanks themselves. That's why I made my own base for the tank which actually turned out to be relatively easy.
The tank cost about $200 Canadian, which translates to about $154 US dollars now.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mucky_Waters Thanks for that info. I have been looking at a radial flow filter, which seems to work on the same basic principle as what you have. Someone commented that those usually function on a lower GPH flow than most ponds so might not work outside of aquaponics, but it still might be a good alternative for me -- worth a try and it looks simple enough to plumb that even I could accomplish one, LOL! If/when I get around to making one, I'll post an update.

Your videos were very informative and enlightening!

Ask a Question