JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd like to start this thread to show my (and I hope you participate, too) love for nature and wildlife.
The reason I put in a pond stems from my love of wildlife. Ever since I was a kid, I've always loved it. Adding a pond, even a small one like mine, brings in nature of all kinds, and its really been great to see things in my own backyard that I wouldn't normally see on a daily basis. I enjoy camping, hiking, and canoeing, and I'd like to not only be able to share my time in nature, but to be able to see what everyone else has seen.

I created this post in hopes that after a day of hiking, biking, canoeing, or camping, you come here and share what you've seen, particular animal and plant life.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Since its FREEZING outside, and I dont plan on going out anywhere soon, I'll share a couple of photos from this summer:

IMG_5616 copy.jpg

IMG_5699copy.jpg

These photos were taken in August at Harrington Beach State Park in Wisconsin. I camped there for a few nights. It was a fascinating place with some of the nicest woodlands I have seen. The forest floor was filled with different types of ferns, from small to large. The area had tons of deer and I saw them constantly. At one point, I unknowing was only a few feet from a blue heron that was perched on a bridge. Many of you may consider them pests, and for good reason, but they sure are amazing birds. Our campsite was next to a prairie so all night our campfire light showed off the many types of wildflowers. It was a fantastic place that I hope to revisit.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
one of the reasons I bought this property and then the pond came , first pond and then the new pond

Attachments

• a day of deer 001.jpg
    a day of deer 001.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 628
  • deer in yard 001.jpg
    deer in yard 001.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 592
  • murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 555
  • thanksgiving 2013 022.JPG
    thanksgiving 2013 022.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 601

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL, as the only recent camping, hiking, etc. experience I've had is with our Boy Scout troop. Just before Thanksgiving we had our annual winter camp [called Camp Turkey]. Even for our part of the country, we had unseasonably cold, wet weather the entire time [3 nights, 4 days]. And, unfortunately, at this type of camp there is too much activity and too much noise for you to be able to experience much "nature." One of our leaders heard a flock of geese fly over one night, and I heard the usual late-night coyote-conversations. I guess the most interesting thing I had the opportunity to observe [and they were plentiful] was the North American Adolescent Male in all stages of oblivious-to-my-surroundings glory!

Boy Scout Motto: Be Prepared! Hm, uh! "Mom" didn't pack spare socks, or "Boy" never looked in his bag to see what "Mom" packed. "Boy" shows up at Medic, "My feet are cold & wet." [same boy, 2nd day in a row]. Medic's answer [2nd day...], "What do you want me to do about it?" "Mom/Boy" only packed one pair of shoes/boots! "Boy" states that everything in my tent is wet -- well, where did you leave "everything?" On the floor! Where's your rain poncho? My "what?" You know, that thing you're supposed to pack in case it rains -- it's raining! How many LAYERS are you wearing? Wow, THAT many! Are any of those layers waterproof [or wicking] -- of course not. All cotton, huh? Yep!

And a Boy Scout is Brave! Not too many took showers during the week -- guess "brave" wasn't on their list for THIS camp. I'm sure "Mom" did LOTS of laundry when they got home / or not. They either had a lot of dirty, muddy clothes, or one perpetually worn set of clothes [too cold to change clothes -- and I'm guilty, there!].

Needless to say, MANY, MANY opportunities for teaching! But despite the horrible weather, spirits were great and all the boys seemed to have a good time -- and that's what it's all about!

Oh, but the cutest was the North American Pre-Adolescent, Sibling-variety Male who camped with us all week. On the last day he was having a blast walking through the [on him] thigh-high mud puddles! I told him that his dad was probably going to make him ride home on the luggage rack! "Dad" was almost in agreement :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Nice pictures JB.

Dr Case is that snake poisonous? Colors are neat. Nothing but garter snakes and bull snakes around here and that's alright with me. :)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
haver79 said:
Dr Case is that snake poisonous? Colors are neat. Nothing but garter snakes and bull snakes around here and that's alright with me. :)
No its not, it was a real calm snake as i stood over him

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
DrCase said:
I took this pic in one of my food plots this fall. Eastern hog nose

Very cool coloration! I've only seen one Hognose snake, just this past Spring.

IMG_0087.jpg

haver79 said:

Ironically, while Hognose snakes look dangerous, they're one of the most harmless snakes. They even play dead. Also, the way their mouth is shaped makes it nearly impossible for them to bite into humans.

They do some good bluffing though. They'll shake their tail in leaves to sound like a rattle snake, and they have one heck of a hiss.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We had some good snow today (still falling), so I went for a hike in the nearby woods. I found a hidden trail that someone even had a makeshift bridge going over a small stream, and also saw Turkey tracks. Funny story about the turkey family that lives in these woods... Earlier this year I unknowingly go too close to baby turkeys and had momma turkey chase me up the trail!

IMG_6396.jpg

IMG_6403.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pictures of camping trip up to Birch bay and also rode our bicycles east of Birch Bay to get the mountain shots.

Birch Bay is a headland bay created by the refraction of incoming waves on the headlands that lie on either side of the bay. The headland to the north is Birch Point, and the one to the south is Point Whitehorn. The waves bend as they enter the bay and lose energy in the process. The result is a half-moon-shaped bay with a gentle sloping beach. The beach has been modified in past years by the implementation of groins and riprap. Terrell Creek runs parallel along a section of the beach, eventually flowing into the bay.

Mount Baker
IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

Birch Bay
IMG_4276.JPG

Well the seagull on top of this boat making himself comfy is wildlife
IMG_4234.JPG

And we all know this guy
IMG_4235.JPG

Then there are these ferocious creatures who can get rather wild at times :biggrin:
IMG_4236.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very cool mountain shots j.w! I would love to see some mountains one day.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Anyone know what this is?

DSCN4089.jpg

I was walking in the woods near my house today and found it in the ground. My first thought is that its some sort of drainage system, maybe leading to a nearby stream, but I have no idea. For all I know it could be old garbage that is no longer relevant. Either way, it was interesting to find.

Ask a Question