Need advice on turtle pond...

Reaction score
Hi everyone, pond noob here...so I've built a pond in my backyard because I want to move my Red Eared Slider outdoors. I'm having trouble on deciding how to enclose the pond to keep out predators and keep the turtle contained. I'm considering putting up some type of wall around it....perhaps with an electric fence...but thought I'd see what other ideas are out there. I will have to cover the top of if with chicken wire or some other type of wire to keep out any Hurons or other predator birds as well. I could also use some ideas on landscaping the immediate surrounding area. The area it has been built in is part of my parent's vegetable garden. I have attached some pictures. Also I believe I will need a filter and want to make a waterfall and all I have is a pond pump at the moment. Finally, what else can I do to hide the liner?

Thanks everyone!

This is my preformed pond by Algreen Products Inc. -

Specifications:

Depth 48 In.
Height 18 In.
Width 64 In.

I'm not allowed to post pics yet since this is my first post so here are the links!

s168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/khairajai/Pond/DSC04248.jpg

s168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/khairajai/Pond/DSC04249.jpg

s168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/khairajai/Pond/DSC04250.jpg

s168.photobucket.com/albums/u168/khairajai/Pond/DSC04251.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

1. I think you misunderstood I don't mean an electric fence as in thousands volts that would cook a raccoon but mind you nurseries actually sell these kits that give off a very minor electric charge to keep cats and raccoons away. Cruel would be when finding an empty turtle shell one morning.

2. I am thinking I will put a net overtop once I build up the surrounding wall.

Keep'em comin folks!

Thanks!

Ask a Question