NEED HELP w/ Pool Pump Issue

Reaction score
I have a water feature and I bought a

>>> 1 HP Maxi Replacement Pool Pump for Above Ground Pools from Home Depot ... ( I shop at HD a lot )

1111111.jpg

Thought it was a great deal and gave me the option of running up to 2" pipe sucking from my Water Feature.

I have an IONIZER installed on the suction side.

Having trouble priming this new pump.

I'm also sucking from about 3 plus foot down. Just off the bottom of my pond.

Any Ideas?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If the pump is, as you say, for above ground pools then it is not self-priming. Some pumps will hold a prime OK if a leaf-basket/primer pot is attached and the others won't. What is the height of the pump in relation to the water's surface. Also any plumbing unions between the pump and the water MUST BE AIR TIGHT, not just water tight.
Unrelated question....Why do you have an Ionizer? They are potentially very harmful to the aquatic environment.

Reaction score
The pump sits behind my waterfall and is 12 inches below.

Pump does have a leaf basket. Everything is tight and glued.

And on the unrelated question...... This is a natural swimming pool per se. It's a human koi pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If the pump will not hold a prime, then air is infiltrating the intake at some location.
I had the same issue several years ago with a Self-priming pump. The manufacturer's tech agent told me that even the tiniest hole will cause a pump to lose prime. He pointed out that an air molecule is smaller than a water molecule. I re-sealed all of the non-submerged unions on the intake line and remedied the problem.
Can't say that I have ever heard of a "Safe" swim pond that also housed fish.

Reaction score
No Fish. Just trying something different that doesn't require chemicals.

If I eliminated the Ionizer and am also going to put a UV sterilizer on it, It would make a perfect Koi pond.

Size. Depth. Bog size etc.

Reaction score
Suction is right there to the left of the waterfall, covered by a piece of liner all the way to the bottom. ( w/ a check valve )

Don't think that is too deep?

Headed out there now. Been playing hookie this morning while the guys get caught up with some mortar.

final6.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Suction length is measured from the pump intake to water level. It does not matter how deep in the water the intake is situated.

Reaction score
Cannot get that derned pump to prime... Going to return it to HD and buy one that I know a little better if I don't get this worked out soon.

If I am sucking thru a 2" pipe and discharging thru a 1.5" to my water feature, will that affect anything?

I have the water feature in the pic below built and no water yet!

final17.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Does the pump have a 1.5" discharge or 2". While this should have no effect on 'priming', it does have an effect on total head, flow rate and the overall life of the pump. Using undersized plumbing will also run up your electric consumption. After re-reading your original post, I will wager that your problem is at the Ionizer. The probe insert is likely not airtight. Other than a check valve, nothing else should be mounted on the intake line.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do not reduce the pipe size running to the "bog". You want to maintain maximum flow especially when using a swimming pool pump. These are not designed to move water like a pond pump. The gpm rating for this pump is likely fairly low given the 1.5" discharge.

Reaction score
It worked for a minute or two on Wednesday evening and then went Kapput.

But while it was going, it was wicked cool..... TONS of discharge.

I think it may have to do with the way I installed the ionizer on the suction line.

That ionizer is a Tee with a bulb looking thing a ma jobber right in the middle of the pipe.

I 90'd the ionizer up and out of the dirt, so I have 4 90's on it there.

SnaggaFragga%E^%$&^$&($)(*)(*&)*^^$%#@%$#@^%&^^)(()++)+*)(&&^$#!

Wish I knew.

Ask a Question