Need help with filter for 20 gal. tank

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I currently have a 20 gal [standard] tank. I have an AQUA-TECH HOB filter -- the 20-40. I felt like I needed more filtration, esp bio, so I upgraded to an A-T 30-60, but that was WAY TOO MUCH water movement.....!

image.jpg image.jpg

So, looking for something suitable for a 20 gal with good water movement, but not overpowering. Good mechanical filtration & good bio-filtration. Budget-minded, if possible.

I would prefer to stay with something simple, like the HOB-type filter, but am open to suggestions.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
don't know much about them but e bay has some great prices on tank filters .Mike just got one for his big tank with a free uv and paid almost 90 dollars less than the pet store plus free shipping and no taxes .He got a tank style that goes inside the cabinet underneath the tank .I think there was something else included free but can't remember

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Make your own moving bed filter with some cut up straws, a bottle and a cheap air pump.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reaction score
I use the fluval that has bio and mechanical for my 40 gallons. Very satisfied, I cut a filter sponge in 1/2 and made an opening in the middle to attach it to the intake pipe as extra filtration. The fish love to pick at the sponge like a buffet!!

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/filters/aqua-clear-fluval-power-filter-zid36-16885/cat-36-catid-300088?var_id=36-16885&_t=pfm=search

This link is for the smaller one but I use 2 of the 50 gallon size on my tanks. I love to have to filtration and sound mind. Plus if one goes down I still have one running.

Reaction score
I currently have a 20 gal [standard] tank. I have an AQUA-TECH HOB filter -- the 20-40. I felt like I needed more filtration, esp bio, so I upgraded to an A-T 30-60, but that was WAY TOO MUCH water movement.....!

View attachment 73796 View attachment 73797

So, looking for something suitable for a 20 gal with good water movement, but not overpowering. Good mechanical filtration & good bio-filtration. Budget-minded, if possible.

I would prefer to stay with something simple, like the HOB-type filter, but am open to suggestions.
check out craigslist also for some deals

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a 40 gallon and is using the 50 gallon filter, pretty happy with it but I added more bio media in there. Never have a problem with Ammonia, just the Nitrate is always high so I have to do water change quite often.

Reaction score
Country
United States

View attachment 73796 View attachment 73797

Just to clarify the Aqua Tech 20-40 is 160 GPH and the 30-60 is 330 GPH

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use the fluval that has bio and mechanical for my 40 gallons. Very satisfied, I cut a filter sponge in 1/2 and made an opening in the middle to attach it to the intake pipe as extra filtration. The fish love to pick at the sponge like a buffet!!

http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/filters/aqua-clear-fluval-power-filter-zid36-16885/cat-36-catid-300088?var_id=36-16885&_t=pfm=search
I recommend AquaClear, they have a large filter section, that's where I added the bio media. This is the one i have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000260FUM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read somewhere that you can adjust the water flow on this filter -- is this correct, and does it make a difference? I like the idea of higher capacity, but at a slower rate.

I also read a customer recommendation that said to go up a size -- IOW, get a 30 for a 20 gallon, etc. (if they come that way....?). As per my above statement, I like bigger, but don't want to blast the fish out of the water (which is what happened with my other filter).

My tank is a 20 gallon standard. Not where I can measure it at the moment, but it's not the "tall" or the "long." I'll only be keeping a couple of smaller (this year's spawn) in the tank -- same as I did last year. Just to have something pretty inside the house that I can admire & pamper :love: through the winter months.

Thanks all, for your help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You can reduce the flow with Aquaclear. I think you will be fine with the 30 normal flow or the 50 reduce flow. I love it because the size of its compartment, biggest then any of the filter I looked up. The reduce flow is you just shift the intake tube, it works, not significant but it does.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In the past I've used Marineland filters -- with the Bio-wheel -- but now I'm not seeing many good reviews for them.

I might try an Aquaclear....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Got an Aquaclear 50, but haven't taken it out of the box yet [too many other things going on....].

Even though this is for a 20 gal tank, I was looking at the GPH. The Aquaclear is rated as being 200 GPH -- this is right in between the 2 Aqua Techs that I have, so sounds like a happy medium. If it's too much, I'll return & exchange it.

Ask a Question