need help with my fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
i have an outdoor pond its a few year old. And I was feeding them yesterday and one fish looks wierd. Like it's been scaled from th sides down. It's eating and swimming fine
I have a smaller goldfish with a growth I noticed. I got pictures of both if it helps. All the other fish look normal

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 269
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 294
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 235
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm not an expert, but am wondering if one has a fungus condition. The one with the bump, it might be koi pox, or a tumor?

@Dave 54 will be along shortly and has more expertise than I.

BTW, welcome to our forum!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The loss of scales may be due to spawning. Do you have any sharp edged stone or other objects in the pond? The large lump May be fish pox or a tumor as Tula said. It would help if we knew the length of the fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you give us some more information about your pond? How big is it, what kind of filtration do you have? How many fish and how big are they? Do you know what your ammonia and other levels are? Have you recently added any new fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are the standard questions that may be helpful in helping you with your fish. Please answer as many as you can:

Before posting please take a moment to think about what information could really help the other members to help you. If your question is about water quality then this is particularly important! Water quality can have a great impact on fish health. To help us better help you with your fish or water problems please read the following.

The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for any issues to be identified. Therefore please answer these questions as completely as possible:

Water quality
* Ammonia Level (pond)
* Nitrite Level (pond)
* Ammonia Level (tap water)
* Nitrite Level (tap water)
* Ph Level, pond (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Ph Level, tap water (If possible, KH, GH and chlorine)
* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops?

Other useful information:
* Water temperature?
* Pond size and how long has it been running?
* What is the name and size of the filter(s)?
* How often do you change the water and how much?
* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change?
* How many fish in the pond and their type?
* What kind of water additives or conditioners have you used?
* What do you feed your fish and how often?
* Any new fish added to the pond recently?
* Any medications added to the pond?
* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and pond
* Any unusual findings on the fish?
* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.?

If this is an EMERGENCY and your fish are in immediate danger, we encourage you to post ASAP regardless.

If you do not have a test kit, you may be able to take samples of your pond and tap water to your local fish store for testing (which is often free). Please request numerical results rather than generalizations like "OK", "fine", "safe", "acceptable", etc. However since knowing your water quality is important, we suggest you get your own test kit. A drop kit is both more accurate and much less expensive per test than the test strips.

Photos can also be a big help!

Forum Etiquette
Becky, Jul 19, 2013Report
#1Like

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Could you please take far clearer photo's so that we might get a good look at these scales at present I'm sorry but the photo is smudged and I cannot make anything out to rule anything out

Dave

Ask a Question