need pond help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks. My pond is about 8 yrs old. I know my tetra canister filter is insufficient. I don't feed fish too much, and have a uv light, but pond gets direct sunlight. Much of the day. I can't plant and tree cover either. Is there a better filter that will keep on clearer? Someone said a pool sand filter is best....thanks. Mad dog

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi folks. My pond is about 8 yrs old. I know my tetra canister filter is insufficient. I don't feed fish too much, and have a uv light, but pond gets direct sunlight. Much of the day. I can't plant and tree cover either. Is there a better filter that will keep on clearer? Someone said a pool sand filter is best....thanks. Mad dog

What size is your pond? (Linear dimensions and capacity). How many fish? (specie and size).

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score

Hi Dog. We have a good diagram for a bio-filter. We used to use the upflow with lava rock and it was a disaster because the sludge from the pond collected there at the bottom. Decaying material removed oxygen from the water in the filter, therefore destroying the good bacteria which removes ammonia and nitrites from the water.
There should be about four pages to this.

Lorraine

Attachments

• Filter Diagram.pdf
    158.8 KB · Views: 554

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi Dog. We have a good diagram for a bio-filter. We used to use the upflow with lava rock and it was a disaster because the sludge from the pond collected there at the bottom. Decaying material removed oxygen from the water in the filter, therefore destroying the good bacteria which removes ammonia and nitrites from the water.
There should be about four pages to this.

Lorraine

Downflow gravity filters such as this are no better or worse than the typical upflow filter as regards nitrification. This type, however, if not monitored can easily overflow if the screens are allowed to clog, even slightly. Not recommended for a hobbyist pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Great! I will review it. I guesstimate that's it close to 600 gallons. I have 3 larger koi [10"], 10 comets, 4 species of minnows. Mad Dog

Reaction score
Country
United States
Have u ever seen anyone successfully use a sand filter like they use for pools? My buddy insists thus is the best way to keep it clear. But, I know I still need a charcoal filter and UV too, right? Thanks. Mad Dog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I put a sand filter into the forth bay of my vortex as an experiment last year. It slowed the flow to the point that I had to go from a 750gph pump to a 450gph which was fine for Winter. Now we are into Spring and I am back to the larger pump due to the increased O2 needs of the fish; So if you want to filter faster than gravity flow you would need to contain it in a canister sand filter and pump it through. If you want more purity you can add zeolite sand and diatomaceous earth to the mix.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have u ever seen anyone successfully use a sand filter like they use for pools? My buddy insists thus is the best way to keep it clear. But, I know I still need a charcoal filter and UV too, right? Thanks. Mad Dog

There is considerable difference in the amount of suspended and dissolved organic matter in a swimming pool versus a pond. Unless you have extremely efficient mechanical filtration a sand filter will quickly clog.

Ask a Question