net cover for my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
While my wife and I were in New Orleans, our neighbor told me that the heron paid a visit to the neighborhood. On the larger pond, I had put in a fishing line fence which might have helped that, but our smaller pond might have bee "hacked" by the bird. I am thinking of constructing a frame with 1/2" or 3/4" PVC with golf netting stretched in the frame. I would suspend it about a foot or so above the pond. If I can use screw in hooks, I would be able to lift it off when I am around the pond. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks, John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
John Norfine nets in the UK do a range of nets for koi lus if you make the ponds edges to take the net they can fiitt a number of bungy straps to the net one carrying the net across the pond the other tightening the net around the pond and the really great thing is they will export to the US

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/

Ours is the 6mm hexagonal

Dave

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a fishing gill net, 5 inch openings to allow frogs, little birds etc to enter and leave without being trapped. Have it hanging around 3 feet over the pond, slight drape down. The heron can not strike through it, easy to work under it or move out of the way. I put fence posts in each corner to hold it up.

This is the third summer with it, the herons fly over our house every day, no attack since I put it up. So it works great.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I too have the fishing net over mine and it gives you such peace of mind. Mine is up high and hangs down and hooks to a little fence around my pond. Mr Heron is one frustrated bird now. I see him on my walks in the ditches along side the road. He stares and gives me dirty looks :shifty:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have actually watched the bird, while flying over, do a pause in the air and a look down. Then it just keeps going, so nice to see that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
I ordered an 8' X 10' net from Gourock today. I made a frame out of 1" PVC and I plan to use wire tie wraps to keep the net in the frame. I have some ideas
on how to suspend the net over the pond with a way to quickly remove it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a small weave net over my pond, after finding small birds drowned when they got caught under it, I was done with it. Dragon files got caught, frogs got caught so I went to the wide weave hung high over pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@John O I have a similar net cover as you are planning to make. My husband bought some pvc pipe and we cut a cheap pond net and tie wrapped it to the pvc. I have rocks stacked on the outer edge of my pond so the frame just lays on top of the rocks. It doesn't look the prettiest but it works to protect my fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I had a small weave net over my pond, after finding small birds drowned when they got caught under it, I was done with it. Dragon files got caught, frogs got caught so I went to the wide weave hung high over pond.

We had the same problem, birds especially getting caught. Now we have too many fish, probably 25-30 and so I figure we can feed the Herons and other birds, raccoons and still have a good number of fish. I DO hate the leaves, though. Maybe we'll try the high net.

Ask a Question