Never, ever give up!

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Over the past 15 or so years I build my pond. Rebuilt it at least three times. Built a big waterfall that sadly failed. Build, enjoyed and closed a small bog. Had, loved and lost forty two wonderful fish. Basically, before finding this forum I used the trial and error method. Even with all the errors, the rebuilding, the expense we've never stopped being head over heals happy with our pond. Like the title to this post states never, ever give up. :D

Big Lou

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Even tho the work never ends ponding gives us such great rewards and it keeps on giving and we never run out of new things to share,discuss and do to them, never!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Such good advice! A pond provides so many opportunities to learn and experience the natural world right outside your back (or front!) door. There is "work" but when you love it, it doesn't feel like work at all.

I'm always sad when people struggle with their pond. Our pond has been such a blessing in our lives. My husband had to retire due to illness and his health makes travel difficult so we are so lucky to have beautiful spot to "vacation" in our own backyard.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
feel the same lisak since my hubbies heart attack I can only travel alone or with my sister .He loves relaxing on the front porch with the chihuahuas and the pond .Me I get all the work .I know he gets upset when I tell him it is getting to much for me and it will be time to sell soon .I hate having to say it but I am not getting any younger

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is he loves this home and first home ever that we designed together to fit our needs .I may end up hiring some one to do some of the stuff .I hate that because I always feel I can do it

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah but if you can only do so much and it is stressing you out it must hurt him as well that he can't help. If you can alleviate some of that by bringing someone in, by all means. Life is too short to do it all.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Thing is he loves this home and first home ever that we designed together to fit our needs .I may end up hiring some one to do some of the stuff .I hate that because I always feel I can do it

I always say that when you are doing something and you find the work to be overwhelming or negatively impacting your well being, it is time to look for alternatives. God forbid anything did happen to your husband, you want to know that he enjoyed his last years and didn't suffer in an uncomfortable living situation. So for his sake and happiness, I urge you to look for alternatives before you get overwhelmed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know but I never want to admit I can't do it .I am one of those people That tries to make every one else happy and never worry about how tired I am .I think that is why I like winter it gives me that rest I need .Well sometimes ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Another perspective is that just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to. I spent years "needing" to do everything myself - had to build my own house, fix my own truck, grow my own food.... I'll always remember another back-to-the lander to whom I commented " what a lovely little table!" He feigned a look of great pride and said "I bought it myself!" That still makes me smile. And if you are able to hire someone to give a hand, it provides some local employment which is a good thing. I hope you feel better soon, Sissy.

Tai

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I know but I never want to admit I can't do it .I am one of those people That tries to make every one else happy and never worry about how tired I am .I think that is why I like winter it gives me that rest I need .Well sometimes ;)

Oh I absolutely get where you are coming from, I have moved an ancient 80 pound TV up a 15 step staircase in the past, that weighed around 2/3 of my own weight. That time it took 3 family members to get it down the stairs.

my point being, I get you 100% when you say you feel the need to or feel accomplished to get things done by yourself. But you have to know that moral burnout is way worse and you will find yourself being overwhelmed and then just give up completely. Your health should come before any of this materialistic stuff right.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Oh I absolutely get where you are coming from, I have moved an ancient 80 pound TV up a 15 step staircase in the past, that weighed around 2/3 of my own weight. That time it took 3 family members to get it down the stairs.

my point being, I get you 100% when you say you feel the need to or feel accomplished to get things done by yourself. But you have to know that moral burnout is way worse and you will find yourself being overwhelmed and then just give up completely. Your health should come before any of this materialistic stuff right.

That is why we hire out pond cleaning and such.

Ask a Question