Never have I seen it rain so heavily

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This last weekend weve been having torretial rain here in Plymouth , whats the big deal rains rain right ?
Well twice over the weekend period I've had an extra 2" of water in the pond and have had to drain the pond off via its over flow/skimmer to release exess water to the drain .
Why well had I left it in the pond and we;d have been hit by yet more rain it would have over topped the pond.
The winds where quite kigh also meaning we couldnt deploy the parasol to act as a shield against the rain .
.Many of us look to the rain as being a freebe that drops from the heavens but in acctual fact that freebe comes with a sting in the tail .
Rain can sometimes affect your pond water chemistry. Because rain water can be acidic, it can affect your ponds Ph . After a heavy rain, you so it would be an idea to keep an eye on the pond water chemistry
If you get some light showers, I wouldn’t worry too much about water chemistry as it will have very little effect, if any, on your pond
However heavy rain is a different kettle of fish [pardon the pun]
So after heavy rain you should be straight out there getting a measure of your pond water chemistry
It is incorrect to suppose that rain water is just pure water [H2O] Why ....because as water is evaporated from the earth, sea to drawn up to form what we know as rain clouds you will find that alott other dissolved and less desirable substances may also be taken up with water at the same time .
While a small percentage of the pollution that is released in the atmosphere can be attributed to nature [volcano plumes,forrest fires etc} most comes from our reliance on fossil fuels running cars , lorries, buses firing power plants,air travel or the burning of coal and oil in third world economies supprised by that?..... [yes our weather does travel a very long way]......
It is especially true if you live in if you in cities where there is heavy industry .
So before you go out and buy all those water butts think "there is no such thing as a free lunch always test your ponds perameters after heavy rain , and if it is found to be too acidic then it would be a good idea to go about correcting it a.s.a.p..

Dave

Last edited:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your right Dave !!
I have added a lot of baking soda this year , to keep my KH up
I slept through a 5 1/2" rain the other night

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your right Dave !!
I have added a lot of baking soda this year , to keep my KH up
I slept through a 5 1/2" rain the other night
Have you ever thought about either crushed Oyster shell or Kusuri Lithaqua as a bulster DrCase ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
WE attended a pond tour with the local koi club this week end and one of the ponds was taken off the tour, due to flooding rains:(

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Have you ever thought about either crushed Oyster shell or Kusuri Lithaqua as a bulster DrCase ?

Dave

Yes I have Dave
I do have Oyster shells , I just don't have enough in my system
I need to step it up a little

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We had an unusually wet spring, and several times I've had to drain water to prevent an overflow. Have been lucky with the pH, which has remained stable throughout. My KH (for some reason) is naturally low, so I always have crushed oyster shells in the water flow. @addy1 says she puts her oyster shells in her bog, so I'm trying that, mixed in with the gravel.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It would take an awful lot of rain (think Noah) to alter pond pH by any significant amount unless run-off was involved.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Perfect timing on this thread. We went away for 3 days last weekend. Tested both ponds and everything was fine. Got home Tuesday and my largest fish is hovering in front of the return from the filter. I added air stones and put shade cloth up but no change. Then I remembered this thread. Ph on that pond tested at 7 today and it was 8.5 on Saturday. There were big storms here Sunday night so guessing a ph crash. I have added baking soda as well as oyster shell.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Even with the pH of rainfall typically being 5.4, It would take a tremendous amount of rainfall to lower a ponds pH from 8.5 to 7. Like many, many, many inches.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Last year we had a one day rain event that produced 20, yes 20, inches of rain in less than 24 hours. Even this amount of rain did not create a 1.5 difference in pH values in local ponds. The heavy rains associated with tropical cyclones do not produce this large of differential. The math just does not support drastic pH drops in a body of water the typical size of a garden pond or larger.

Ask a Question