New babies

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
OK, so not fish or Koi related, but that's why I'm posting in general chat. Had to brag about our new arrivals today. We actually weren't even thinking they were close to having kids yet, I thought they should be born mid October. Guess the boys got out a few times earlier than I thought. Who doesn't like babies??
DSC06818.JPG
DSC06821.JPG
DSC06824.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my gosh, I think goats are so cute :love: Are they pygmy goats?

I remember when we had a goat that lived at the barn where I kept my horses. He was such a stinker and always looking for something to get in to :rolleyes: We had him de horned (he liked to headbutt people) and named him Bart.

I always tell my husband if we ever move some where that I can have a goat I'm getting one (or two) ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Larkin they are so cute!

Maria I know what you mean. They are just the sweetest little stinkers aren't they and they always have that "I wanna get into some trouble today look" on their cute faces :)

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
They are Pygmy's. I have really enjoyed keeping them. They do a great job of keeping there three acres trimmed of brush, but they aren't great grass mowers. Babies are quite adorable, I sat in the stall with them this afternoon and the darker of the twins already likes to be handled. He's a lap baby so far. Our most gentle and sweetest is a cross breed. He's fixed and never had horns. Acts more like a big dog than a goat. His best buddy is a little female pygmy and the two of them are the two with the most personality. Our bucks aren't aggressive at all but they don't like to be touched either.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Well we now have five babies in the stall nursing. Kids, kids, kids, and more kids. What is a farmer suppose to do with all this kids.
DSC06876.JPG
DSC06875.JPG
DSC06873.JPG
DSC06866.JPG
DSC06849.JPG
DSC06876.JPG
DSC06875.JPG
DSC06873.JPG
DSC06866.JPG
DSC06849.JPG
DSC06858.JPG
DSC06858.JPG
DSC06849.JPG
DSC06866.JPG
DSC06873.JPG
DSC06875.JPG
DSC06876.JPG

Reaction score
In most places that they raise goats they eat the male kids (cabrito), and raise the females for breeding and milking.
What will you do with all those goats?

When we raised goats we lived in an orchard setting, a loose goat could easily destroy a fruit tree in minutes by chewing off the lower branches and stripping the bark off the trunk. Needless to say, we never let them run around unsupervised.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pygmy goats were originally bred to be meat goats. I just don't think I could eat one of our kids we raised. I have been thinking about pulling two of the kids and bottle feeding them and selling them as pets. Bottle fed babies bring a decent amount of income and it would help supplement some of the food bill. We have also been talking to a couple about them buying two pair from us. That would help a lot to thin out the parent stock and reduce the adult population and it would give the girls a break for a while as will keep one of our newer bucks for breeding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Way too much cuteness going on here :D Those twins are just precious :love:

Couldn't even think of eating an animal I raised and cared for.......

If you bottle feed them and create a bond with them its gonna be hard to sell them ;)

Ask a Question