Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
A friend of mine who has a small stream fed pond recently had a flood and washout of the dam and he had to borrow 3 stock/quarantine tanks (42 gallon) from me to house the fish in while rebuilding the dam and spillway. When he brought the tanks back he offered me 3 fish that he was trying to get rid of because he was running out of space. I accepted the offer but only for one fish which he called a crucian carp. I got him in my 150 gallon river tank right now but might move him to the pond at some point but not before at least a good quarantine period. Anyway here is a picture of him and I named him Regalo.

unnamed.png

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
haha nice shinny fish. Do you have name for all your animal? Do you remember them all? :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A friend of mine who has a small stream fed pond recently had a flood and washout of the dam and he had to borrow 3 stock/quarantine tanks (42 gallon) from me to house the fish in while rebuilding the dam and spillway. When he brought the tanks back he offered me 3 fish that he was trying to get rid of because he was running out of space. I accepted the offer but only for one fish which he called a crucian carp. I got him in my 150 gallon river tank right now but might move him to the pond at some point but not before at least a good quarantine period. Anyway here is a picture of him and I named him Regalo.

View attachment 86836

Prussian Carp are the parent specie of Goldfish and very similar to Crucian carp with few minor differences.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Is this carp a species you buy? I do not imagine it being wild?

While on the subject what is the major difference between predatory river carp that basically take over waterways and the beautiful koi. Are there pure carp kept with ortimentalorimental fish and home ponds?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
They are wild, but they can be purchased.

Koi (and Goldfish) are sub-species. That means that over time, more and more hatchlings in succesive generations will revert to the physical characteristics of the parent specie.
Carassius auratus auratus (Goldfish) will revert to Carassius auratus gibelio (Prussian carp) and Cyprinus carpio Koi will revert to Cyprinus carpio (Common carp). The only true difference between the parent specie and the sub-specie in these cases is coloring.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
haha nice shinny fish. Do you have name for all your animal? Do you remember them all? :)
I name all the turtles and can remember and identify by site all of my nine personal pet turtles but the ones in the rescue have name tags on their tank cause I don't think I could remember 35 names especially when they get adopted out and new ones go in their place. As far as fish go I only name the unique ones cause I like the weird colors or uncommon breeds. I would much rather have hybrid or cheap koi anyday especially if they have weird coloration such as my three favorites that are koi one is solid white one is solid black and the other is black with gold and orange spots under his chin (or whatever the "chin area is called on a fish lol) :D

Ask a Question