New guy/pond redo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a house that had a koi swamp. Ok, just a swamp....
pond2.jpeg

We cleaned it out and got it running...
pond.jpeg

pond7.jpeg

pondview.jpeg

I wound up purchasing a bunch of koi and a filter system from someone who was closing down the pond. We had that running for a bit, then one day, I saw a heron poaching my fish. The pond was only 2.5' deep at its deepest point. I tried fake heron's, a motion sprinkler, but the bird kept coming back, so I chose to make the pond bigger and deeper...
20151020_170207.jpeg

pond8.jpeg

A lot deeper. :)

pond9.jpeg

Filled it up...

pond12.jpeg

Redid the plumbing and added UV.
Ordered some rocks...
pond11.jpeg

That's how it sits now. Just waiting for this stupid weather to stabilize a bit. The plan is to build a couple waterfall features on the ledge that we discovered while digging it out. The coping edge will get smaller rock and plants to soften it up.

C'MON SPRING!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, great project. Your doing a great job. Looking forward to seeing the progress.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and nice work .What are you going to do about your friend that visits .

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nice pond! Where do you live? Just wondering how long spring is going to take to get to your place.....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have to say I am glad there was not chance of having smell O pic on puters.Just looking at that first pic makes me want to puke .We are at 59 now and dinner is in the oven so taking a rest after running out and taking the wood out of my truck .Next take garbage to dump and look at that fixer upper house and think about an offer and know it won't be what they are asking .By the way how many friends will you have to bribe to help you move those rocks :);)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of the rocks aren't bad, just those 5 larger ones. We'll probably rent a small excavator for that like what we used to dig out the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice work! Welcome to our group! What part of Maryland? We are out in Frederick.

Ask a Question