New here!

Reaction score
Hello everyone, just recent found out how relaxing and beautiful koi and goldfish are. Just last month had a 55 gallon pond and just upgraded to a 500. Need tips to keep my fish healthy and happy. Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

First tip - keep your fish numbers low. That's a small pond for koi. Goldfish would do better in 500 gallons.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and the filter the pump and a good liquid test kit are most important .City water or well water

Reaction score
Thanks, only have 5, 3" koi fish and 1 5" koi, and 1 6" goldfish... Going to make a bigger pond. Pond been up for 2 weeks... Cristal clear water... Do I still need to test the water? Live in lancaster Ca temp are at 100* daily.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Wecome to the group! I'm about an hour from you in SoCal desert. Temps are indeed high out here. You need to test, even if the water is clear. Your pond hasn't cycled yet. I wouldn't add any more fish for now, but you do need to start checking ammonia levels. If they get high (above .25ppm), start a 10% water replacement regimen maybe once per day until they drop. Koi get very big, and they will outgrow your pond after several years. Then it will be time to go to an even bigger pond! You might also consider getting some liquid bio lift to seed your pond with beneficial bacteria. I've used Pond Microbe-Lift PL 10PLQ on Amazon. Also, how deep is the pond and how are you aerating? High temperatures cause oxygen to drop.

Reaction score
Wecome to the group! I'm about an hour from you in SoCal desert. Temps are indeed high out here. You need to test, even if the water is clear. Your pond hasn't cycled yet. I wouldn't add any more fish for now, but you do need to start checking ammonia levels. If they get high (above .25ppm), start a 10% water replacement regimen maybe once per day until they drop. Koi get very big, and they will outgrow your pond after several years. Then it will be time to go to an even bigger pond! You might also consider getting some liquid bio lift to seed your pond with beneficial bacteria. I've used Pond Microbe-Lift PL 10PLQ on Amazon. Also, how deep is the pond and how are you aerating? High temperatures cause oxygen to drop.
It's about 3 1/2 feet deep... Have a Patriot Bio Pro 4000 Pressure Filter with Built-In 24 Watt UV for Ponds to 4,000 Gallons. Been adding bacterial and have live plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
It's about 3 1/2 feet deep... Have a Patriot Bio Pro 4000 Pressure Filter with Built-In 24 Watt UV for Ponds to 4,000 Gallons. Been adding bacterial and have live plants.
Sounds good. Watch your fish behavior. If they are gasping for air near the surface, then add an aerator. My waterfall ends in a stream, doing nothing to get aerated water down to lower depths. So, I added an aerator. Also, if you're adding the "dry" bacteria then you might want to switch to wet. I don't think bacteria can actually live in a dry state.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, as already said just keep a good eye on things. You still have a way before a full cycle

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What do you mean by a full cycle?
I believe you said your new pond has only been up for 2 weeks. If so the pond has not fully cycled yet. Usually it takes about a month during this time you need to keep a eye on your water parameters

Ask a Question