New home pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason for this post/question is filtration.

The wife and I are contemplating a new pond for a home we will be moving into in the near future. The pond being planned is a L-Shaped pond. We are calculating it to be about 3850 U.S. Gallons. The pond will be an above ground pond and will be built out of concrete block with a concrete slab as the bottom. Because of the size which is about 24 ft. long by 8 ft wide (overall linear length in L-Shape) we are planning on placing two, aerated, bottom drains into the slab. We will, obviously, waterproof the stucco/cement finish inside the pond.

We currently have a 900 gal above ground pond that we built. The pond uses a rubber liner. There is no bottom drain but we are using a Tetra 2500, with UV, as the filtration. We also have an air pump with a 2 ft air stone aerating the pond and creating a current from the middle out. The pump we are using is the Tetra DHP 3600. This is a "debris handling" pump and I do not have it bagged at the moment. The pump is in the pond, it is plumbed to the filter and the filter feed two 12 in wide stainless waterfalls that drop the water into the pond. The photos are below.

pond-1_zpsgpbyv2hy.jpg

pond-2_zps2tjdq8wo.jpg

This setup has worked OK or fair for our needs. The water is kept clear enough to see the bottom well. It's about 3 ft deep. Even in it's "clearest" moments we still see some particles floating around. We back wash it regularly but still the filter clogs and acts up from time to time. We

So back to the new pond. The pond will be located in the new house in an area that will get full sun, pretty much, all day long. The location of the pond will be wrapping around the corner of tiled patio in the center of the photo below. That is the south side of patio/yard.

pond-4_zpsg1jmcxga.jpg

We have been researching a bit and have seen many different setups that have left us more confused than when we started. We have read some about Skippy filters, pressurized filters with mixed media, bead filters, all-in-one pre-setup solutions, etc. Some amazing stuff out there.

The main issues is size and where to put this filtration. This pond will be in the middle of the property. I would like to have this filtration enclosed somehow or hidden. I would like to keep in all lower than the back of the pond. I would rather avoid a 6 ft wall hiding 500 ft of twisting PVC. Basically we want to avoid 55 gallon blue tanks being an eyesore in the yard. However, we do want to keep the water clean. We do want something that works better than the current Tetra setup.

Can you all recommend something?

BTW... why above ground. This is in Miami, Fl. I have limestone 12 inches below my topsoil. It's a royal pain to dig here. Also, there is well water available to me there. Water swaps would be a breeze. Last bit of data.... we have 5 Koi about 12" long at this point. We also have about 8 to 10 Cichlids and, last but not least, Godzilla, our 8 year old plecostomus that comes up to be hand fed.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is your new pond going to be plant-free like the current pond?

You need to determine in advance, as best you can, what will be your eventual maximum fish load. This will determine what size biofilter you need more than the capacity of the pond.
In any case, I would recommend a pressurized bead filter appropriately sized. This can be easily hidden behind a simple lattice panel that can double as a trellis.
I do have a question about your source water. You mention the availability of well water. I know from past experience that much of Florida's lower East coast is experiencing high and increasing salt intrusion in local wells. If this is also an issue in Miami, well water may not be a usable source.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is your new pond going to be plant-free like the current pond?

You need to determine in advance, as best you can, what will be your eventual maximum fish load. This will determine what size biofilter you need more than the capacity of the pond.
In any case, I would recommend a pressurized bead filter appropriately sized. This can be easily hidden behind a simple lattice panel that can double as a trellis.
I do have a question about your source water. You mention the availability of well water. I know from past experience that much of Florida's lower East coast is experiencing high and increasing salt intrusion in local wells. If this is also an issue in Miami, well water may not be a usable source.

Thanks for the reply!

We are on the fence about plants. We got rid of the plants when we went with Koi. Main reason, they where eating the leaves and we have more shade due to neighbor's trees just behind the pond. That is limiting the sun we have for the pond to 3 to 4 hours a day. The combination of factors led us to move away. In the past though we did have papyrus, waterlilies and other plants in there. We're on the fence now though for the new one.

As for fish. We have 5 Koi now. In the pond we have, we comfortable with that volume. I'd figure we are going to migrate those Koi and perhaps add maybe 4 to 5 Koi over time. Since we are going up 4 fold in water volume, we were figuring we'd be OK there. The Cichlid and others will go up as well but I cant see us adding more than 6 to 10 more. Overall, we might double the fish population we currently have.

As for Saltwater intrusion, I am miles west of the saltwater intrusion boundary. Saltwater intrusion is normal in coastal areas of Florida. This is the case mostly because of the nature of the rock under Florida. This has been an issue for those that live on the east coast of the city (within 3 to 5 miles of the coast) forever. The porous limestone under us allows the saltwater to come into the freshwater. While that line has crept west, it has not moved 10 miles inland. We are talking about a mile from 1955 measurements. In most cases unmoved in the last 20 years. Bottom line... for the 30 foot well I would be pulling from, there is no issue. Water is good.

On the bead filters, we were considering something like this: http://www.thepondsolution.com/product_detail.cfm?item_id=449

This is a pre-filter / bead filter combo. What would be the opinion on something like this? Are there better options that don't cost $4000.

Reaction score
Country
United States
L shaped can be a real pain to work with .

Understood. I would assume setting up some circulation of the water might be an issue. We are planning water feed back into pond from a couple of stainless waterfalls like the ones I have in the current pond. Should I add some sort of jets on the sides to move water?

What would you recommend in terms of drain setup? We were planning two connected, aerated drains at each end of the L shape. This would eliminate a fish getting caught in the drain because suction would not be concentrated in one place. Is this a bad idea?

Also.... while on the setup subject.... How do we fail safe the drain? In other words, should we get a broken pipe on the drain line to the pump, we'd lose all the water. How does one setup some sort of safety for that? Something that might let half the water out but not lose 100%.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Drains in the 2 areas are great .Are you sealing or arhttps://youtu.be/pUcADfQkosQe you using a liner .I know ponddigger has great videos on tpr 's in a pond .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Drains in the 2 areas are great .Are you sealing or arhttps://youtu.be/pUcADfQkosQe you using a liner .I know ponddigger has great videos on tpr 's in a pond .

I am planning on an applied sealer. I'd prefer to avoid the liner I've done three ponds with liners and I'd prefer a sealed pond that would be easier to clean and have no folds to worry about.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ponddiggers videos are great to watch .Very informative .I know there are several brands of sealer .Have you looked into there ratings and picked one yet

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Whatever you go with [and I apologize if it's already been mentioned], if you have koi, keep in mind that they are huge waste producers.

L shaped can be a real pain to work with .
I seem to recall a few years back that we had a member who did an "L" shaped pond [and yes, we pointed out all the problems with drainage, etc, LOL]. Initially, it turned out well, [though I think they had to take out some trees either due to shade or leaf-drop -- I don't remember]. We had follow-up for a while afterward, but nothing recent. I wish I could remember who that was and/or an approx. time frame so we could re-read the build process.......

Reaction score
Country
United States
ponddiggers videos are great to watch .Very informative .I know there are several brands of sealer .Have you looked into there ratings and picked one yet

Pond Diggers have a ton of videos. I've watched a few.

As for the sealers, we have looked at a few but main ones are Hecht Rubber's product Herco Fish Pond Coating or Aquakote's Koi Kote. Also looked at PondPro. All of these are not cheap. Usually about $125 per gallon. I have looked at Flexseal. It runs about 30% cheaper at $90 a gallon. All of these are basically rubberized coatings so I assume they are all similar in performance. One last option was Thoroseal. The last one is a powder based product you mix with water and then slap on. In the end, I will likely go with whatever goes on well and is proven.

Ask a Question