New Malibu pond thermomter in pond and working very well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Our new thermometer arrived a few days ago via Amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TFA-30-3053...721&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+pool+thermometer

I really must admit I'm impressed we have the pond thermometer as well as an external temperature thermometer remote and last but not least we have the base station/readouts [this also has a thermometer giving room temperature].
It is made by TFA Germany [Germany has an exellent record for these type of insstruments] the whole thing is very well made and put together .
Interestingly our weather station is made by Ascot of Germany it was a Christmas Present from Vals cousin and hubby Glenn over 6 years ago and its still going strong .
Specs for Malibu pool/pond thermomter:-
*Wireless pool thermometer for pool or pond.
*Water temperature wireless via pool/pond sensor with 100mm measuring depth [transmission range up to 25 m]
*Outdoor temperature wireless via outdoor transmitter transmission range up to 100m[free field].
*Indication of indoor temperature and humidity.
*Maximum and minimum values.
*Dew Point .
*Radio controled clock
* Very simple Istalation , no cables required
The pond thermometer display takes two AA batteries the external air temperature remote AAA as well as the base station/readput both take AAA batteries
Today we took it out of its box read the instructions which were rather simple to understand [for once] putting it into the pond for the very first time ever I must say we are both very impresed with it and it is very accurate [borne out by measuring the water with an infrared thermometer].
Not that we didnt have problems because we did with the pond temperature cutting out , however re readng the instructions we found that by pressing two buttons on the back of the readout that it was acctually setting about learning [how cool is that].
The air temperature thermometer we mounted as near to the pond as we possibly could and decided to attach it to our bedroom window frame just out of the rain and under cover.
It also has a remote controled clock that you have to set in the time zone you live in, then twice a year it will swop at 00:00 britsh summer time/winter time.
The display in the pond is in large LED numbers is virtually flat to the water and the weight part is rounded making things harder to hurt your fish with.
There is no danager either of over-screwing the display to the weighted part because those clever Germans have marked the display part with an arrow and the bottom prt with a line , this way there is no danger of causing the treads to jam nor a leak.
For the money we paid for it £42.23 + P&P reduced from £59.99 +P&P
All in all if you want a remote digital pond thermometer I strongly recomend the TFA 30 3053 Malibu wireless thermometer :happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What are the operating temperature extremes for that thermometer, Dave?
Also, what do they claim the accuracy is?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Mitch the manual is not allowed to be reproduced without the express permission from th company , your best bet would be go to the TFA website and take a look at all the specifications etc for that model at (e-mail address removed).
www.tfa-dostmann.de
Take a look and let us know your thoughts on it (y):coffee:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Best to know whats going on with the pond DrCase both in summer when one needs to keep a good weather eye out and more especially during the long hard winter months when the covers are on .
At least I have a good idea of temperature and can tell if the trickling in of water is effecting the ambient pond temperature, then there's the weather station and its remote transmitter
As such a good pond thermometer like the TFA ones gives you the peace of mind knowing that they are well engineered, are extremely accurate so I can rest assured its not going to start sinking like the cheap Chinese one we first bought :-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wireless-We...sr=8-3&keywords=Remote+pool/pond+thermometers

The two are totally polls apart in what they can do the new one was well thought through and is of high quality the other not so starting from too small a LCD display intermittent signals and the remote display though it did less that the TFA one was dependant on battery life and in our view used to eat them.
At least we know tht after 12 months we change the batteries of two of these units/transmitter/displays and after 2 years on the other unit/display
Then there was the taking in of water causing the display not to work with the Chinese model [though this started to happen only in the last six months] most probably the seal was getting old and the effects of the suns U/V rays.

Dave .

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
now all you need is a camera on and in the pond .Those things are great a ponder friend here has one and loves it .I have one for the house and basement that shows temps in case the electric goes off .I sure don't want the new pressure tank or filters to freeze .Always relieves your mind to know what is going on .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think Dave has a camera if I'm not mistaken.

Good to hear a great review on this produce @Dave 54 ! Thinking of getting one myself - I will definitely check this one out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thats right Lisa you are correct in your rememberings.
We have had one since just after the break in got a camera on the pond and one facing the front door fromthe living room .
The police say you dont need a battery of cameras just a few well placed ones , however we have to observe or near neighbours privacy so it has to be set at an angle .
But that angle covers enough of the pond area and also catches peoples faces in great detail.
I've also put up a dummy camera, so that if any koi theives know a real from a fake they will see the fake and think what a skinflint he's only got a dummy camera not seeing the real camera till its then too late and we have their faces

Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put 2 cameras on my pond one up in the eaves of the house and one down near the pond on the 6x6 of the front porch .The other cameras face the driveway and patio doors and front and side doors and front and side yards .I live in the country so it gives me piece of mind .They have come down so much in price and here you get extra on off on your insurance .It pays for it's self .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Its a strange world the world of insurance in the UK sissy you have to have only listed alarms , I'm unsure if they will knock money off for having cameras , we'll have to look into it ..
I'll ask around and see what they say about it .

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I put 2 cameras on my pond one up in the eaves of the house and one down near the pond on the 6x6 of the front porch .The other cameras face the driveway and patio doors and front and side doors and front and side yards .I live in the country so it gives me piece of mind .They have come down so much in price and here you get extra on off on your insurance .It pays for it's self .

Sissy Im looking at a few cameras for my house that Im able to view from my cell phone. Are your cameras wireless? Any info would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Sissy Im looking at a few cameras for my house that Im able to view from my cell phone. Are your cameras wireless? Any info would be greatly appreciated
@Jersey_Marine your best bet is to shop around first to see what models are out there , we got a great bargin on ours plus we can if we wish add another couple of cameras however we have alott metal including bay window support re-bar in the ceiling etc which decided us against WiFi however they are worth having .

Dave.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got mine on ebay and they are elec cameras and less than 100 dollars for 4 of them with free cloud storage for life and have them hooked to a dvr and can view them from the monitor set up in the kitchen and on cell phone, puter and tablet .I bought another set and added a mike to 1 of the cameras on the pond .I ran the wires through the attic which was easy as I went through the soffit of the house .I did but for an extra 10 dollars 3 -- 25 ft cords to extend the length of 2 of the cameras .I had wireless and hated them but they are OK for the second house ,the night vision sucked on the wireless ones .Dave I looked at my insurance policy and I get 85 dollars a year off .My policy just came up for renewal

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I got mine on ebay and they are elec cameras and less than 100 dollars for 4 of them with free cloud storage for life and have them hooked to a dvr and can view them from the monitor set up in the kitchen and on cell phone, puter and tablet .I bought another set and added a mike to 1 of the cameras on the pond .I ran the wires through the attic which was easy as I went through the soffit of the house .I did but for an extra 10 dollars 3 -- 25 ft cords to extend the length of 2 of the cameras .I had wireless and hated them but they are OK for the second house ,the night vision sucked on the wireless ones .Dave I looked at my insurance policy and I get 85 dollars a year off .My policy just came up for renewal

I heard the wireless ones arent as good as the wired one but my pond is about 35 yards from the house. I wanted to put a camera by the pond, one camera in the back of my house and one by my front door. The one in the back and front door can be wired but the one by the pond would have to be wireless. What brand did you get?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I heard the wireless ones arent as good as the wired one but my pond is about 35 yards from the house. I wanted to put a camera by the pond, one camera in the back of my house and one by my front door. The one in the
back and front door can be wired but the one by the pond would have to be wireless. What brand did you get?

Jersey Marine You cant get a dual controled camera i;e wired/wireless another problem you can have with WiFi cameras is that theycan be accessed via the internet not only by yourselves but others or so I was led to believe.
If thats the case I wouldnt want WiFi

Dave

Ask a Question