Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hello! My name is Jackie and my husband is Bill. We had someone else build our pond and we are LOVING it. It is a little irregular, about 450 gallons with a small waterfall. We have a sculpture that looks wonderful over looking the pond and it has a water feature too. We are both retired so are enjoying our new hobby. We bought 13 Shebunkin about a week after the pond was built. That was probably the second week in July of this year. They are all still alive. We live north of Chicago so will have help putting the pond to bed for the winter. Everything is new to us. VERY happy to find this forum as I have questions that I know veteran pond owners will have the answers.
PondForForum.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks, Amy. I decided to have my photo showing our granddaughter enjoying the pond. She just turned two and also enjoyed pitching the small rocks into the pond. But her Daddy said that was a no-no and no thrown rocks anymore :)

Reaction score
Oh I love the irregular shape nice garden areas!! Can't wait to see some pics of your fish before they are put to winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Please let us extend a warm welcome from across the big pond from Plymouth UK .
We just love your pond and the statue too , may we ask how deep it is taking into concideration that Chicago has cold winters ?
One question what type of shubunkins do you have ?
Confused :LOL: there are three differing varients of the shubunkin that you can buy for your pleasure .
The London shubunkin this type have stout bodies with short, rounded finnage that is similar to the common goldfish.
Next we have the Bristol shubunkin this type are slim bodied goldfish with well developed finnage possessing a tail that is large, moderately forked, and rounded at the end making a shape similar to that in our eyes of the comet
Last but not least there is the American shubunkin they have a slimmer body shape than the london shubunkin with deeply forked, pointed tail fins, with longer finnage all around :)

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Please let us extend a warm welcome from across the big pond from Plymouth UK .
We just love your pond and the statue too , may we ask how deep it is taking into concideration that Chicago has cold winters ?
One question what type of shubunkins do you have ?
Confused :LOL: there are three differing varients of the shubunkin that you can buy for your pleasure .
The London shubunkin this type have stout bodies with short, rounded finnage that is similar to the common goldfish.
Next we have the Bristol shubunkin this type are slim bodied goldfish with well developed finnage possessing a tail that is large, moderately forked, and rounded at the end making a shape similar to that in our eyes of the comet
Last but not least there is the American shubunkin they have a slimmer body shape than the london shubunkin with deeply forked, pointed tail fins, with longer finnage all around :)

Dave
Dave, I really have no idea what they all are. Bought them at a "pond" store. I guess I need them to pose for me so I can take a few photos.
The person/company that built the pond will come in in October and prepare the pond for winter. It will require a heater and bubbler? The deepest part of the pond is 20 inches. Another unknown. Nest year this time, I will be more educated :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I really like your pond! Where did you find the sculpture?

It looks larger than 450 gallons, but the shape may be deceptive. How deep is it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome! I really like your pond! Where did you find the sculpture?

It looks larger than 450 gallons, but the shape may be deceptive. How deep is it?
Thank you! The sculpture has been in the family for sometime. The size was what the pond guy told us. It does have three shallow areas as you can see on the photo. Maybe that accounts for the deceptive size? The deepest part is only 20 inches.

Ask a Question