Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Germany
From Cape Town, South Africa now residing in Germany past 13 years. Started some years back with my Aquarium collection, ranging from various fish, crayfish, shrimps & Aquatic snails. Moved last year from a rented place to one my wife and I now own, that is why I started my Pond project in early Spring. I have one of those preformed ponds, since I guess I was just eager to get things going. Had the Pond then cycle for a few months and last Saturday introduced my first fish to the pond, a pair of Shubunkins and 8 Bitterling fish. Also have some freshwater mussels that have made themselves comfortable as well in there.

Look forward to getting to know fellow members and also take in advice since Im quite new at this part of caring for aquatic life in a pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Mussels?!? I'm intrigued! Would love to see pictures of your pond and inhabitants! =D Welcome!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Germany
Thanks for the welcome :)

Will post pics as soon as I can, regarding the mussels I only realised when I got the bitterling fish, they have a strange "friendship" with the mussels, seen a video of youtube where the male bitterling does this "dance" around the mussel till it gets used to its company, the male then does this dance to attract a female, ....long story short...female lays eggs in mussel, male fertilises it, mussle acts as an incubator and after incubation period, the mussel lets the babies go...fully hatched lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last year I put a small pond in my yard with a waterfall coming off of a side hill.the problem I had was rain water was getting in behind the liner and was pushing out the liner in the sides.how can I stop this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Springbok... newbie to the site too so good to see you along.

May i ask where abouts in Germany as I served many years there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Germany
May i ask where abouts in Germany as I served many years there.

Just outside Cologne, away from the main city, adapted to village life but no complaints, great area for my other hobby Astronomy and the fact that I live just off a forest area, so one gets to see various wildlife as well as visitors like deer, hedgehogs, foxes running around here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Ah beautiful Koln. Spent almost 10 years as a child and serving in Moenchengladbach so used to know your part of the world very well. Great for the outdoor life but not good for Rugby Football mate lol..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome! now i have to go find the vid about this dancing fish.... :sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! Great to have you here (y)

Just outside Cologne, away from the main city, adapted to village life but no complaints, great area for my other hobby Astronomy and the fact that I live just off a forest area, so one gets to see various wildlife as well as visitors like deer, hedgehogs, foxes running around here.

My dad lived in Germany for a few years - in a place called Bergisch Gladbach, is that near you? It was a lovely place, I really enjoyed visiting.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! We are all ponding fanatics.

Ask a Question