new pond filtration

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hey guys, I just built my new pond. It is roughly 8x8 with the main area about 2' deep, but it has a 4x4 abyss in the middle that goes down 4' where a pump pushes the water to a stream origin that flows the water down back to the pond via waterfall.
I'm trying to add a new pump/filtration system to keep it clean. I have 7 koi ranging from 5-12". Any suggestions for a good filter system that won't kill my budget? So excited to be one of you! I've always dreamed of building my own pond. Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you want to buy or build your own filter and where you live will help .Will it run year round in warm temps or be shut down for cold winters

marktastic

Koi meets World
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I live in seattle, so moderate winters. I could build one if it's not too difficult, but buying a good one is what I'm worried about. I don't want to do the whole trial and error thing.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome! I wish I could help you, but not my area. But I would like to comment about where you have your pump..... Most of us don't recommend placing your pump at the lowest point in the pond. The reason for that is, if you ever have a malfunction or a hose comes loose, with the pump on the bottom, you're in danger of completely draining the pond. What most of us do is put something like a milk crate down on the bottom, and put the pump on that -- keeps it elevated hopefully enough to keep your fish in water until you can intervene. Believe me, those hoses can and will come loose!

Your plan sounds lovely -- I'm a fan of streams & waterfalls!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It can be as simple as a tote a tank adapter and lava rock like mine .Tote I used was doubled up now I use stock tanks because I needed bigger filters

Attachments

• pond parts 002.JPG
    pond parts 002.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 237
  • pond parts 011.JPG
    pond parts 011.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 192
  • pond parts 013.JPG
    pond parts 013.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 168
  • pond parts 015.JPG
    pond parts 015.JPG