New Pond for turtles

Reaction score
hi there :), my turtles have grown to big and now i decided to create a "pond" for them to live in from an old water fountain i have, but i don't have allot of money so i'm trying to keep with my old filter an Eheim Professionel3 350 and use it on this fountain, I've got a net to protect from some bugs and leafs and so they don't run away but the problem is that i can't put the filter under the pond, the first idea i had was to put a plastic box with the filter near the same level of the water,

Fotos:
http://imgur.com/a/ft9fI

any help about the problems i may get or if this seems fine?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! What kind of turtles do you have? How many and what size are they?

Is this a submersible filter or one that needs to sit outside? From the pics, it looks like maybe an external canister filter?? Not exactly sure what you are intending to do with the filter.....

If you're not having fish in with the turtles, you probably don't have to be concerned as much with biological filtration as you do with mechanical filtration. As I'm sure you already know, turtles are messy. So you want to have the max. filtration you can. Have you thought about making a DIY filter? There are a lot of ideas and different types, and you could get a submersible pump big enough to move the water a couple times an hour -- lots of variation in prices if you shop around, check ebay or Craigslist.....

Reaction score
they are hieroglyphic turtles with about 30cm(~12inches) and the lake has 6400liters(~1690gallons), 8m long, 2m width, 40cm height, and for now i will not use the filter but i wanted a water pump to keep the water moving, any idea of what kind of pump and strength would be better?

Reaction score
Having water turtles myself, I would recommend some type of filtration. If you are limited to that canister filter, I would recommend putting it outside under that bridge in you picture. Remove the piping on filter, take to store and find you some type of rubber hosing/piping that slips over ends and clamp them on. Run one hose to one end of your water feature, then put exit end towards the other. I would advice not sitting it inside that storage bin and placing inside the water. If you get a leak, could be disastrous for the turtles due to electrical shock even though that unit is sealed, not designed to be submerged.
I found one of the best ways we keep our turtles cleaner is having a couple large goldfish in there. They clean up the excess food not eaten and actually help in keeping pond clean. Now when the turtles get so big, then they start eating the goldfish. :cry:

Ask a Question