New pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I have just completed my very first pond part dug and part raised with sleepers. What hard work it was took me 3 months doing bits when I could fit in but the end result was worth the effort.
No doubt will have lots of questions about pond keeping hope this is the right place to be.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Yes, you have come to a great place for questions & answers!

So now that the hard work is done, what plans do you have for the pond, and we'd love to see pictures -- even pictures of the dig process, etc. -- we like to see it all, LOL!

Assuming you're going to have fish, what kind were you thinking about? Koi, gold fish, or something else? What kind of liner are you using? How big is your pond (gallons & depth)? Have you looked into pumps & filtration?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United Kingdom
When you do a post, right next to the post reply button there is an upload file button. Try that. Can't wait to see them!!

Oh ok thank you I have just taken a picture of finished pond with my IPad others are on my pc i will have to transfer them over.
Hope this works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 179
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love to sit in the evening and watch the fish going about their business.
I have a mix of goldfish, Subunkins, orfs and 2 others that I cannot remember what they are. :)
Not sure if I should add any Koi

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wouldn't. I love my shubbies and don't want messy Koi. I also don't want to have to worry about the additional filtration and extra care they seem to require.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@solihullpondman Oh, that is very nice! Your hard work paid off -- you did a great job! I like the pergola-like structure you have over the pond. Is it connected to the pond or free-standing? That entire spot you have there is nice, and it looks like you can view the pond from inside as well.....

Though others may disagree, I agree with tbendl about the koi. All I have are goldfish, and I'm quite happy as they are beautiful to watch and easy to take care of.

I'm not familiar with "orfs," but see where lots of folks from the UK keep them. What are they like?

You mentioned this was your first pond, but didn't mention if you have any experience or knowledge of fish-keeping. I won't overload you with information at the start, so let us know when you're ready to start learning. But, do you have a water test kit? A lot of new ponders don't, but it's going to be important to monitor your water quality.

More pictures, when you can.....:woot::snaphappy:

Ask a Question