New Raised L Shaped Pond

Reaction score
Hi all, we have recently decided to build our first pond and I would like to get some advice if I can.

The pond has been constructed of dense hollow concrete blocks which were then filled with concrete ballast mix to make then super strong.

The shape is a effectively an 'L' as this has an area approx' W2.5m x L2.5m x D1.2m then an additional W1m x L1.5m x D0.5m due to the shape of our garden.

I would like some advice on how to line the sides properly and what type of liner / underlay to use due to the vertical sides and rough texture.

Pond is already built so I can not do anything with the design. I will be building my own bio filter so any hints and tips on that would be great too.

I have never had a pond before so please keep any advice as idiot proof as possible whilst I get up to speed with the lingo... lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcome_1.gif
to our group! What kind of fish are you planning on? Epdm is used sometimes to line block ponds, some coat with a rubberized coating

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Callum. Welcome to gpf! It sounds like you already know about the importance of cycling a pond if you want to build a bio-filter so good luck with everything!

Reaction score
All walls built using dense hollow blocks and then filled with concrete mix to retain the weight.

The initial pond floor contour shaped and leveled off to three different levels.

Don't worry the finish will be a wooden front so all the block work will be hidden. Not sure if I will use one of the boards you can see in the pics or if I will clad in decking boards.

One question. before I purchase the underlay and liner, should I put a layer of soft sand into the base? I thought this might help stop any stones from coming through.

Pound was built in an area where there was no dirt to dig into as this was previous a raised patio area and has about 3ft of rubble and type one MOT layered.

My plan is to bring the underlay and liner over the tops and down the outside where it will be fixed with wooden battens before the outer cladding is applied. The top will provide a seated area when we are in the garden too. Where you can see the large plant pot is where I plan the rockery and bio filter along with electrics exiting from the conservatory.

If anyone can see any obvious concerns then please feel free to bring them to my attention.
20141004_150906[1].jpg
20141004_150919[1].jpg
20141004_150935[1].jpg

Reaction score
You could put an old piece of carpet down on the bottom to prevent damage to the pond. Beyond that, as noted, 45 mil EPDM liner is pretty much the top of the line when it comes to liners.

I do want to point out that the interior measurements are much smaller than the measurements that you listed in the original post. Not a huge deal, but it does make a difference when deciding what size liner to use and a huge difference when figuring out the gallons in your pond in case you have to treat sick fish or decide to use any other type of treatment in your pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That's an interesting shape to fit a liner in,

There is going to have more folds in there then the normal corners. I would be tempted to make a model out cardboard and try fitting a piece of plastic in it to see exactly hold the folds are going to work so you get the right size liner. It's expensive stuff to waste if it's to big or a huge waste if it's to small.

Looks like a cool project

Steve

Reaction score
Was wondering if you had an overflow system in place? I forgot mines the first time I did it and had to pump out water manually each time a hard rain comes by. Redoing it now!!! Good luck...please post final pictures when completed!!!

Ask a Question