New raised pond construction ideas - help please!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am new to, but excited to join the world of ponds!

I am planning on building a 8ft x 6ft x 3ft raised pond. I have been recommended to build from treated concrete and that this won't need a liner or further protection and the outside will be clad with sleepers. Can anyone comment on whether this is good advise or if I am better off buying a pre-formed fibreglass pond and surrounding that in sleepers instead?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never heard of treated concrete all concrete needs sealed to make it water proof .Why not just use a liner it would be easier .Colleens is part below and part above ground .Mine is the same but done with retaining wall block and concrete block .The concrete block is 3 levels high and just filled with tamped down dirt and rebar .I had to rebuild last year after moles chewed my liner .

Attachments

• new pond 020.JPG
    new pond 020.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 820
  • new pond 022.JPG
    new pond 022.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 1,077
Reaction score
I agree a liner is easier unless you are really experienced with concrete. If the ground shifts or heaves a little a concrete pond can easily crack and you got a leak. A liner is much more forgiving.
You can use concrete or concrete blocks to build retaining walls for raised pond edge, but I'd still use a liner to hold the water in.
This is my raised pond, it has concrete retaining walls and a liner.
5 ft deep, 18" raised ledge which is the perfect height for sitting on.
full

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I built mine raised pond out plywood. It is framed, insulated and I used a liner. It was not very expensive either and you don't need tons of skills to build a box. Still needs some little improvements here and there....
10457178_10153326028723306_1506866535153533144_n.jpg

Ask a Question