New to Koi

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi everyone Im also new to ponds and Koi's a funny thing happened to me in the fish store I was trying to set up a pond with just some goldfish but I was in the store when an old lady came in asking if they would take some of her kois as her pond was too much work for her they were not nterested so I jumped in and offered to take a couple welllllll let me tell you it has been a trip and a half my pond is above ground prefab about 100 gallons 1st I had no idea her kois were 22 inches and larger I thought I was going to get some little fish like the ones in the store ha ha ... took me 1 1/2 hrs to catch it whew almost fell in she was huge I will post a pic when I finally figure out how anyway I got her home in a big tub once I put her in the pond she was very angry and chased my little fish around for hrs I believe she ate a couple but the next day was horrific not knowing anything I came out to find million of little balls stuck to everything and my pond very cloudy I freaked I thought some kind of bacteria I proceeded to empty the whole pond scrubb and clean fill made pretty again only to take some of the specimins to the fish store to be told they were just eggs and I could of left them all they would of been good food for all so hence I have named her Milly since I know she is a girl and spawned a million eggs as an introduction..
milly.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and guessing now you will need a bigger pond .Remember no scrubbing the pond it cleans off the good muck that fish like and that helps establish the pond .There are lots of things we will need to know about your pond to help you be a great fish parent

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

Thank you for stepping in to rescue the fish, but sure hope you have plans for a much larger pond....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@lizzy I posted in another FB group and these are 2 suggestions that were given...

"She needs to contact the Mid Atlantic Koi Club. Joann Mead 845-389-5712 (e-mail address removed)"

And

"Or ZNA Potomac Chapter Michael Frady 703-360-9142 (e-mail address removed)"

I hope you will take his seriously.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone Im also new to ponds and Koi's a funny thing happened to me in the fish store I was trying to set up a pond with just some goldfish but I was in the store when an old lady came in asking if they would take some of her kois as her pond was too much work for her they were not nterested so I jumped in and offered to take a couple welllllll let me tell you it has been a trip and a half my pond is above ground prefab about 100 gallons 1st I had no idea her kois were 22 inches and larger I thought I was going to get some little fish like the ones in the store ha ha ... took me 1 1/2 hrs to catch it whew almost fell in she was huge I will post a pic when I finally figure out how anyway I got her home in a big tub once I put her in the pond she was very angry and chased my little fish around for hrs I believe she ate a couple but the next day was horrific not knowing anything I came out to find million of little balls stuck to everything and my pond very cloudy I freaked I thought some kind of bacteria I proceeded to empty the whole pond scrubb and clean fill made pretty again only to take some of the specimins to the fish store to be told they were just eggs and I could of left them all they would of been good food for all so hence I have named her Milly since I know she is a girl and spawned a million eggs as an introduction..
View attachment 85764
Hi Lizzy , my youngest cousin shares the same name I see you've done a noble thing in rescuing these koi but as a koi keeper of 28+ years whilst applauding you I also must warn you .
Sadly Lizzy youve bitten off more than you can chew , because your pond is unable to support these koi full time and before long I'll be helping you with all sorts of problems from ulcers, to fungus , to split or infectedd fins etc .
We have a large 1,000 gallon imperial pond that is a retro fitted former koi QT holding fasilityand my pond and filtration is designed to take the fish load yours sadly isnt.
So you have three choices really , the first would be to keep them in your esisting pond and sadly watch all your fish sicken and die.
Secondly you could try to find a new home for these lovely koi or thirdly and this would be your best option for the koi is to build your on pond and filters whilst supporting the other koi to the best of everyones abilities but that up to you .
Your pond would need to be about four foot in depth and you could make your filters out of those big blue chemical barrels qite cheaply .
You'd need to buy a pump and a U/V-C plus an out door pond airpump but it wouldnt be very long before your pond was up and running [however you do have to think about the forth coming winter months as they are fast approaching ] .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, It does look larger than 100 gallons but it's hard to really tell sometimes in a video or photo. I can see the redness near her tail now I didn't see it when I watched the video on my phone.
What we really need to know Lizzy is exactly how many gallons is your pond capable of holding from that we can wor out the fish load

Dave

Ask a Question