New to the forum

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys! My name is Brian. I live in St. Louis, MO. I recently moved into a new home this spring and sadly had to leave my pond behind at the old house. My old pond was my first venture into this and was very basic. Basically a 5' by 3' hole that was about 30" deep. I ran the pump from the bottom of the pond up through a canister filter and then routed the filtered water onto my waterfall (just a big flat rock). I did all the work myself and basically managed to only spend money on the pump and filter. I kept goldfish for about 5 years in that pond.

Now that I have moved, I've already mapped out the location of my future pond and have been slowly gathering materials and equipment - mostly via craigslist.

So far I have a 5000 gph pump (brand new in box) and a Savio compact skimmer. I've also started gathering rocks, as I know I'll need a lot of them. My goal by the end of the year is to have the liner, the waterfall filter, and enough rocks / materials to start construction in the spring. I do have a tree to remove and lots of plants to relocate.

My plan is to have an 8' by 6' pond that is stepped down to a max depth of about 3'. I plan to keep goldfish in this pond. I'd like to have a very nice waterfall....or maybe even a dual waterfall.

I'd like to get any advice or feedback from the forum and look forward to working through the design and build of this with everyone.

Attached is a picture of my old pond.

Glad to be here.

Brian

Attachments

• 397894_623597479160_122632495_n.jpg
    397894_623597479160_122632495_n.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 224

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and now you get to build another pond and love it .Sounds like you are thinking ahead and hope you take lots of pics while you are having fun digging and working on your pond

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Isn't it so much fun to plan a new and better pond!

I was just telling someone about The City Museum in St. Louis. I've only been to the city once, but visited this very unique museum -- and fell in love with it!

Oh, and the Turtle Park, of course :)

image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Start a construction thread when you begin your build we can follow along.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome Brian. Good luck with your new pond. There are a lot of us here that have goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome! Isn't it so much fun to plan a new and better pond!

I was just telling someone about The City Museum in St. Louis. I've only been to the city once, but visited this very unique museum -- and fell in love with it!

Oh, and the Turtle Park, of course :)

View attachment 83233

:woot: "Oh er",:wideyed: I know they say evrythings big in America but Maggie as a back yard ornament "nah":D
But think with a bit of life like paint you'd never be troubled by herons nor anything else for that matter :LOL:
You couild even open a skateboard park for turtles "Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:turtle::turtle::turtle:.................:ROFLMAO::D:):happy:;):wacky:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys! My name is Brian. I live in St. Louis, MO. I recently moved into a new home this spring and sadly had to leave my pond behind at the old house. My old pond was my first venture into this and was very basic. Basically a 5' by 3' hole that was about 30" deep. I ran the pump from the bottom of the pond up through a canister filter and then routed the filtered water onto my waterfall (just a big flat rock). I did all the work myself and basically managed to only spend money on the pump and filter. I kept goldfish for about 5 years in that pond.

Now that I have moved, I've already mapped out the location of my future pond and have been slowly gathering materials and equipment - mostly via craigslist.

So far I have a 5000 gph pump (brand new in box) and a Savio compact skimmer. I've also started gathering rocks, as I know I'll need a lot of them. My goal by the end of the year is to have the liner, the waterfall filter, and enough rocks / materials to start construction in the spring. I do have a tree to remove and lots of plants to relocate.

My plan is to have an 8' by 6' pond that is stepped down to a max depth of about 3'. I plan to keep goldfish in this pond. I'd like to have a very nice waterfall....or maybe even a dual waterfall.

I'd like to get any advice or feedback from the forum and look forward to working through the design and build of this with everyone.

Attached is a picture of my old pond.

Glad to be here.

Brian

Welcome from a warm and balmy Plymouth UK Brian looking frwards to seeing your new pond built , we are on track to complete the cosmetic sie of our own build at this very moment :cool:

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
5000gph is a big pump. Gauge your pond size to accommodate the flow that will be created.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for the welcome. To respond to a few comments:

• The tree I have to take down is a maple and is planted way to close to my house to begin with. It's not that big now but it will become a problem in general in the next 5 or 6 years. It's also in the center of where I need to put my pond.
  • Yes, my pump is rather large so I am going to have a pretty big pond here. Looking at the space, I may be able to do a 10' by 8' pond and I'll just have to go pretty deep. HOpefully the pump won't be overkill.
  • I will be posting pics of the existing conditions of the space soon!
THanks again.
BRian

Ask a Question