Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I got my new UTV finally and mounted the optional engine package elements although the timing still has to be tweaked. This one is a 4x4 V-Twin (Subaru/Fiji Heavy Industry) with 40.2 foot pounds torque and roughly 65 horse power. Here is a few pics and a video sound bite of the V-twin growling in the morning cold (it was about 38 F)
DSCN4789.JPG
DSCN4790.JPG
DSCN4791.JPG
DSCN4794.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If I can offer one piece of advice with these UTV's it would be this:

Take a ride in it frequently.

Tires on these UTV's can crack from non use. People think that tire cracking is from UV damage, but it is actually from the wax and rubber compounds in the tire separating. By running the UTV regularly, you will keep the tires in good shape.
Applying a protectant, like Armor All, will not help.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
(y)

Can I ask what the hauling and towing capacity of that UTV is?

The dump bed holds 900 pounds and the hitch can haul 1800 lbs as is or 2400 pounds with a tow bar

Last edited:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

Tires on these UTV's can crack from non use. People think that tire cracking is from UV damage, but it is actually from the wax and rubber compounds in the tire separating. By running the UTV regularly, you will keep the tires in good shape.

I have been using UTV's since I bought my property and I use them to do everything from hauling wood to dragging timber so I drive them into the ground. Now I do have an old 2 wheel drive that has been sitting for about 2 years now and the tires are in good condition but that could have to do with the fact I don't run stock utv tires but rather apc super-soft tires.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States

Now if I had to chime in on advice from my experience specifically for side by sides (UTV) it would be to realize these vehicles are very top heavy and will flip without warning if you try to cut a corner to sharp. I have flipped about 3 times over the 11 years I have been using them and I can tell you that it does not take a lot of lateral g's to go over the center of gravity. The wheel base to height ratio is not very well proportioned.

Ask a Question