Newbie Here

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,
I am from the Pa/Md area and have recently installed a 4000 gallon pond with a 4' tall waterfall. Over all it took a 40x35 liner. It's 4.5' deep at the deep end by the waterfall and 3' deep in the shallow end. The pond has been installed up and running for about 2 months now. I built an island in the deep end using 2 milk crates and some huge rocks. Around the island are some plants tucked I between the rocks. Have numerous other plants on the edges a as well. My friend gave me all her goldfish since she has gone to koi. So I have 36 goldfish from 3-7" all are doing great. I have 3 separate pumps located at the base of the falls, middle of the pond and one in the shallow end all pumps have pre filters. Total flow on the pumps is around 6700gph. I also installed a air bubbler that is 250gph. At the top of the waterfalls I built a box trough that holds 2 large bags of bio balls after going thru scrub pads of medium density. I also have recently become the home for 3 wonderful bullfrogs of various sizes. Looks like maybe mom dad and offspring, just a guess due to size differences.
I had my water tested and everything was great 7.4 ph, .02 on ammonia, and the nitrates and nitrites were 0.
I use some stuff I bought that is for good Bactria and have used one treatment for slime buildup.
This am when I got up it looks like someone dumped a box of liquid soap because it's stacked up with foam.

I'm so confused I have read and some possible issues but still confused as to what to do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 287
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 271
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
That foam looks like it's dissolved organics, nothing to worry about.
The foam will go away on it's own.

I would stop adding any more treatments for good bacteria or slime buildup though.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Like your pond. Most of us don't use chemicals, routinely. Not sure what you mean when you say "slime build up," but if you mean the green stuff on the walls -- that's normal and is good for the pond. It's a type of algae and it provides food for the fish.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The slime looked like a jellyfish got sucked up into my pump cover. Not really algae green like I've seen before. But who knows maybe some type of algae I know there are lots of types.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The slime looked like a jellyfish got sucked up into my pump cover. Not really algae green like I've seen before. But who knows maybe some type of algae I know there are lots of types.
May be snail eggs -- or frog/toad eggs. They are all slimy. Just guessing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Lovely waterfall! It could be from eggs of some type....frogs or fish. Usually if fish spawn, there is an ammonia spike.

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's a pic of the foam coming from the bottom of the falls.
The slime covers the mesh bags the pumps are in and needs cleaned every 4-5 days. Again it's like jelly covering the entire bag. I know it's when it's time to clean the bags due to losing about 40-50% flow on the falls. For the poster who liked the falls here is a closer shot as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 297

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have always said if it is white and does not smell bad it is just extra air in your water so no biggy .I get it .

Ask a Question