Newbie to the forum and building fishponds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi great to be on the forum, hopefully I can help people in the future with their ponds needs/requirements) (thought that may be a while off lol),

I am looking for any advice people have,regards my thoughts of the equipment I will need for the pond I am about to build, Stupidly I bought a pump already and the missus went mental and to me to ask for professional help on a forum before I waste more money, so here I am :),

I will be building it at the back of the garden so as not to annoy the noise of running water with the neighbours, although I would find it peaceful personally)

Now onto the important info I don't want you to think I have just registered to gain free info and then leave, I have info that I have found and want to know if I am on the right track) :-

I bought a pump thinking it will be strong enough, now I am not so sure (Damn missus) firstly here is what I want I want to build, A normal rectangle pond with the following dimensions :-

8 feet length (2,4 metres) 6 feet wide (1.8 metres) and a depth of 2 feet (0.6 metres) I think the amount of water in the pond is (I did cheat and use a online calculator) 2718.41 litres 597.97 gallons is that correct? and how many fish could I fit in, will only be buying small koi and shubunkins.

Here is the pump I bought( I pray wit will be ok) and the filter and other items I think I need to keep my pond running well.

PondXpert FreeFlow Pond Pump 6000 - 13000 litres - 5900 lph

Filter I am hoping for advice on the filter but looking at this one http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/-pondxpert-filtobox-6000-uvc-pond-filter/p1270

PondXpert Filtobox 6000 UVC Pond Filter - 9w UVC
with each box being 6000 liters they should be compatible?

for flowering I am not looking for those colorful lillies that change colour, was going to get these :-

:- http://www.lilieswatergardens.co.uk....html?osCsid=0c5d671a26b9e72a49123618ea435252 - I will only use for a corner of the pond so the fish have cover if
needed

And any advice you can give for another floating plant (Not totally necessary) that has nice colour and helps reduce nitrate, our water quality is shocking and you need to change 5% of the water weekly to keep the pond in pristine conditon. I have read this on quite a few websites (is it correct)

I know what I need pipe wise connectors, Flow regulators if required and all that the only issues I have now are do I need,or can I wait and see if I need it :-

Pond heater for the winter to keep oxygen levels at correct levels :-
Pond hoover - to keep it clean
Herron Deterrence
Cat Deterrent (Or should Ijust add netting to the pond, it may ruin the view of the fish but you know they will be 100% safe)

Sorry for the long post buy any advice will be great :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum!

I've moved your topic to the Newbies to Garden Ponds section as it felt more appropriate (y)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Welcome.
Let's take take things one step at a time in the order of importance and need.
First of all your pond will contain 718 gallons, but you have the liter capacity correct and beings that you are in GB that is what is important.
The pump that you have bought is entirely too large for this size pond. Ideally you want to turn over the pond's capacity 1.5 to 2 times per hour. In your case a 4000 to 5400 lph pump is recommended. Your pump can be throttled back by means of a valve when installed.
The filter that you provided a link to is questionable. It does not list what the maximum flow rate is. You must employ a biofilter that will handle the flow rate of the pump.
For this size pond I would recommend housing only Goldfish. Koi grow quite large.

That should get you started.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Kirk,

You won't need a pond heater in the UK, our winters aren't that extreme, (unless you're in the Shetland/Orkney islands).
Also remember the UK gallon is different to the US gallon, hence Meyer's figure is different from yours. Stick to litres - it's the same the world over.

For good plants, I'd recommend https://www.pondplants.co.uk. I've used them for years and I still have lillies I bought from them over 15 years ago.

A good floating plant is Azolla, it really sucks up the excess nutrients and spreads rapidly. I spread it on my garden or add it to the compost bin as it also makes a great fertiliser.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been reading up on Azolla as I was also thinking of getting some for my pond having used it years ago. However, from what I've found out from several sources it was officially banned from sale here in the UK in April 2014. It's non native, invasive, can spread uncontrolled from the tiniest fragment, has no natural control and there's no herbicide to kill it off safely in a pond or natural watercourse. It also says despite soaking up excess nutrients it can in some instances deplete the oxygen levels. Just wondered what anyone else's thoughts were on this but for the meantime, I'll be rethinking this one!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome.
Let's take take things one step at a time in the order of importance and need.
First of all your pond will contain 718 gallons, but you have the liter capacity correct and beings that you are in GB that is what is important.
The pump that you have bought is entirely too large for this size pond. Ideally you want to turn over the pond's capacity 1.5 to 2 times per hour. In your case a 4000 to 5400 lph pump is recommended. Your pump can be throttled back by means of a valve when installed.
The filter that you provided a link to is questionable. It does not list what the maximum flow rate is. You must employ a biofilter that will handle the flow rate of the pump.
For this size pond I would recommend housing only Goldfish. Koi grow quite large.

That should get you started.

Thanks for the reply that is a massive help mate, and I didn't realise the US Gallons were different and the filter pump I asked for was in Gallons , why they chose american gallons over UK god knows, profit perhaps, but that is the cynic in me I am sure the shop will be willing to trade it back, but I was thinking of maybe enlarging the size of the pond, I really don't just want Goldship in the pond tbh,

I love Koi and a guy up the road has a pond with what looks similar to what I was having, but he only keeps 6 koi in there and they seem to do well (not sure about filter etc. Here are a few pics of what he built and I was hoping of copying the type of build he has. The black fish is about 10-12 inch log and he has another with a lovely golden top that is around 8-10 inch. Here is a link to the black fish and his build and filter, I couldnt get a decent picture of his golden fish http://postimg.org/gallery/2z1dj4uxu/

Also I am thinkingwould it be easy/safe enough to just cement bricks on top if you want to add the amount of water in the pond or is length and width important also to keep the fish happy and have a good ratio. Just making it a 4 feet depth would make it go up to 5436 litres. like I say I haven't built it yet so any size you think will do to keep some koi (Buying small 2-4 inch) the enjoyment I would get to see them grow would be fantastic. My uncle who I see once a year and chrimbo has a pond big enough for 14 koi and the size they have grown is so big. Amazing creatures in my eyes and his are so friendly they eat out your hand.One downside he can never keep pure white koi, he has tried loads of times and they always die, any reason for that?

That is all I am after Just to see them grow and enjoy sitting at the top of the garden in the summer just enjoying them eat and swim..I know I willl need to clean the filter/pump occasionally/more foten in the summer and do a water change of 5% every so often.

Like I say thanks for the help,you have given but it has caused me to ask even more questions so sorry.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome Kirk,

You won't need a pond heater in the UK, our winters aren't that extreme, (unless you're in the Shetland/Orkney islands).
Also remember the UK gallon is different to the US gallon, hence Meyer's figure is different from yours. Stick to litres - it's the same the world over.

For good plants, I'd recommend https://www.pondplants.co.uk. I've used them for years and I still have lillies I bought from them over 15 years ago.

A good floating plant is Azolla, it really sucks up the excess nutrients and spreads rapidly. I spread it on my garden or add it to the compost bin as it also makes a great fertiliser.

Cheers CeeJay looks like my local pond shop are not the best he recommended having one just in case we have a bad winter. I have just read up on that Azolla and it is banned from what I read, no issues for any aquatic animals in your pond but it spreads so qucikly to canals and lakes etc it has been banned.

I would really like a bit of colour in the pond anyway so just trying to find the right plant and colour which helps with nitrate

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to our group!

Thanks, I am just sorry for all the questions, I have been reading up and the american gallons is the thing that has threw me most, thankfully Meyer Jrodan told me the difference between UK and US. My local shop seem very dodgy indeed with their advice.

I just want a pond for koi and if the 8ft is reallyno good the missus will have to lump in because the shed with is 6 freet wil be smashed down readyf or a koi pond (Hopefully I ma not at that stage yet lol)

Great forum you have got here by the way, help all around, non fish lovers (My missus) struggle to undeerstand the point but all the do is swim :rolleyes:

EDIT : just spotted your setup, WOW, whats the largest koi you have?)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol NONE, no koi, I have shubunkins, they have great colors, grow to around 12-15 inches maybe more maybe less. Easy to care for, not fussy about the water and they do not destroy all of my pond plants.

Ask as many questions as you need to that is the only way to find out information. We have a lot of very experienced ponders on this site.
IMG_4383.JPG
IMG_4565.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Kirk, whereabouts are you in the UK, no need for detailed location, just a general idea if you would? I've got a 11x12x2.5ft pond, have a mix of goldfish, yellowfish (lol), shubunkins, large blue orfe, large golden orfe and two large ghost koi, 28 in total, no probs with any of them. I had no idea the Azolla was banned till I did some online reading the other day do thought I'd mention it above. It could easily be transferred to the wild by birds. If you can afford it go as big as you practically can. Most pond owners end up with ponds that are too small, especially when fish grow and when you spot nice ones for sale!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been reading up on Azolla as I was also thinking of getting some for my pond having used it years ago. However, from what I've found out from several sources it was officially banned from sale here in the UK in April 2014. It's non native, invasive, can spread uncontrolled from the tiniest fragment, has no natural control and there's no herbicide to kill it off safely in a pond or natural watercourse. It also says despite soaking up excess nutrients it can in some instances deplete the oxygen levels. Just wondered what anyone else's thoughts were on this but for the meantime, I'll be rethinking this one!

Wow, I didn't realise that!
I did have it years ago in a pond, and it did spread very rapidly.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
lol NONE, no koi, I have shubunkins, they have great colors, grow to around 12-15 inches maybe more maybe less. Easy to care for, not fussy about the water and they do not destroy all of my pond plants.

Ask as many questions as you need to that is the only way to find out information. We have a lot of very experienced ponders on this site. View attachment 92574 View attachment 92575

That is stunning, water is as clear as anything and the fish are fantastic all plently of room to swim around. You use and special food or just koi food?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Kirk, whereabouts are you in the UK, no need for detailed location, just a general idea if you would? I've got a 11x12x2.5ft pond, have a mix of goldfish, yellowfish (lol), shubunkins, large blue orfe, large golden orfe and two large ghost koi, 28 in total, no probs with any of them. I had no idea the Azolla was banned till I did some online reading the other day do thought I'd mention it above. It could easily be transferred to the wild by birds. If you can afford it go as big as you practically can. Most pond owners end up with ponds that are too small, especially when fish grow and when you spot nice ones for sale!

I live in Arnold, Nottingham mate,

I can at the moment go 8ft x 6ft x 2ft which was my main aim but I have to have a few koi and defo shubunkins now I have seen addy1 setup, I thought they only grow to around 4 inch.But Koi carp are a must for me. I don't know why Ijust have always wanted to keep koi

I have a few options which I have been reading up on could I possibly use a Y Piece to split the flow between a new filter and an ornamental boy weeing type of thing that stands at the side of the pond. Mate gave it me and said it would defo reduce the flow rate to the pump but unsure by how much. The new filter I am looking to get is :- http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/pond/filters/biological/koi-pond-filter-system-6000l/ this with the weeing boy may help with flow rate and all me to keep the stupid pump I bought , shop refused to return it.

2nd option is to do a pond 8ft by 6ft by 4ft, but would this be too deep and will the fish be viewable? or will they become shy and kind of bottom feeders.

3rd option is a divorce and I rip the shed down (missus will be pissed, but it is tat in there anyway oh and her Christmas decorations which she has plenty and seem worth more than gold the way she protects thenm lol. doing that thought give an extra 8ft length, but I just can't risk it

Thanks for all the replies so far I am learning bit by bit, I am defo building a 8ftx 6ft x 2ft as I have ordered the bricks they will be here in 2 weeks so have more time to check things out.

Thanks again guys you are top

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is stunning, water is as clear as anything and the fish are fantastic all plently of room to swim around. You use and special food or just koi food?
I filter the pond with one large bog, it keeps the water perfect. Basically a whole lot of pea gravel with water flowing up through it and all the plants that grow in the gravel, then it water falls back into the pond.

I feed seldom, when I do I have some koi food someone gave me, also some generic pellets I picked up from a fish hatchery. Nothing special. They live off the natural food in the pond.

The end that you see with the fish is over five feet deep. The fish in the summer tend to hang out near the surface, in the winter they tend to hang out lower in the water. You can make it 4 feet and still see your fish. More water is better.

Ask a Question