NEWBIE TO THIS SITE AND NEED ADVICE ON MY FISH

DOD

Reaction score
fish 1.jpg
fish 2.jpg
Hi all
I moved into a new house a year ago and it has a pond which we love it is so peacful sitting next to the pond with a cuppa or glass of the Red.
I am hoping that someone can help with my fat goldfish, I think she may be ready to lay eggs as she has been like this for a long time ( see photos attached) and I have noticed that we have a couple of more goldfish looking bigger round the middle. I don't think it is Dropsy as she is still eating and swimming ok and doesn't look like a porcupin.
Any advice would be most appreciated as I have grown attached to them.

Attachments

• fish 3.jpg
    fish 3.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 289
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Was the fish like this when you moved in or is this something new? I have some goldfish shaped like that, they are fancy goldfish, although mine have different tails.

The other fish look normal to me, well fed.

DOD

Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Was the fish like this when you moved in or is this something new? I have some goldfish shaped like that, they are fancy goldfish, although mine have different tails.

The other fish look normal to me, well fed.

Hi Priscilla

She looked like all the other goldfish, and has only change over the last month or so, but she is still very active.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I do not think this is normal. The third picture does look like dropsy to me, but perhaps it's the angle of the picture? Can you isolate her in a smaller container with an airstone? Remember to decholrinate the water, or use some pond water. I think if she was in a smaller container, you could get a better look and know what you're dealing with.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
This may very well be dropsy in your goldfish , tell me how long has the fish been like this if its a long time then we can rule out it being egg bound and even dropsy ,
Why because the fish may very well be this fish is carrying a tumour.
Have you gently felt the stomach if not could you to see if there is a hard lump inside, if yes and there is a hard lump then your fish has a tumour
Dont worry its not the end of the world because though unsightly fish can live with tumours for many years so dont for the moment think you've already lost this fish we have a koi (shusui) that has been with us for 5 years now that developed one which we monitor from week to week by looking at it .
Should it start to grown rapidlyand thus start to be problems and the fish cannot cope with them then we would choose to euthenate the fish with MS222 .
Then again in saying all this it may well be that your goldfish is a bit of a pig and simply eats more than other fish (it does happen).
We recall a thread about a group of fish with swollen stomachs, it turned out aftr questioning the poster that his mother was responsible for feeding whilst he was aways resulting in some very overfed goldfish looking like this either earlier in the year or perhaps last year I cant remember exactly when .

Dave

DOD

Reaction score
Hi all and thank you for all your help.
She has been like this for just over one month, and doesn't eat more than the others. I don't think it is dropsy as she is still swimming and eating normally. I have just noticed that some of her sacles are coming off and that a couple of other fish are starting to get fat? How do you treat egg bound?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have heard using epsom salt in the water helps w/egg bound fish and also taking the fish out and rubbing it's belly to discharge eggs. Also something about cooked peas and removing the outer skin of the peas first and letting the fish eat that. I have never done this and perhaps someone else could be more specific. If the scales are now starting to be a problem it looks like it could be dropsy. If you google egg bound fish or dropsy you can find out how to treat the fish more specifically unless someone here pops up w/more info.

DOD

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Took the fish to the Aquarium shop down the road and he said she is badly bloated. now I am trying the Epsom salt remedy and a different brand of food. Hope this works, fingers crossed. Thank you all for your advise and will let you know how things go.
Hope everyone has a fantastic new year.

Ask a Question