newts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi new one here.. quick question..my pond is in desperate need of a good clean..(pic 3) however i have a lage number of newts that have taken up residence in there... when and how should i proceed? ...last year my wildlife pond had newts..this pond is (was) my fish ornimental pond...never had a newt in it lol this year i have counted at leats 20 of them...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice looking pond.

Welcome to our group!

In cleaning what are you referring to a drain and remove all goop or remove debris or algae or water change etc.

If it was mine, I would test the water, see where it is at, since I love all pond critters I might hand scoop out some of the algae but not do a total clean out. One of my fishless ponds gets that type of algae it goes away as the plants grow. The tads and pond critters love it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It was going to get a complete drain and scrub lol as it hasnt been done in years..pump and filter have not been touched for about 3 years..the blanket weed has all but taken over one side of the pond ....to be honest i dont bother with testing stuff or adding chemicals etc i sort give a clean every few years then leave it be.. have plenty of tadpoles, pond skaters and other wee beasty in the pond all the time, just never see Newts in this one before ...This ponds been there prob about 20 years or so...certainly never seen so many newts not even in the "wildlife pond" its not a massive pond prob 10 foot by 3 wide 3 ft deep..think there 10 fish in total in there...might be that the fish will need to evolve legs soon as theres not much open water to swim in due to the blanket weed...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I love newt!
I think you do not need to scrub, that will take all the balance out of whack and the pond will have to be cycle again.
I'd just reduce the water until it's almost empty, scoop out the muck algae as much as possible (while looking for any critters and move them to a safe place), use sodium percarbonate on the algae (leave on for 20+ minutes) then put water back in the pond again, then wait a few hours and then drain the pond again. Or even use the sodium percarbonate on the muck, it'll make the muck float and you can skim them out of the pond. I do that in my pond and the algae will slowly die and disappear in a few days. Then I do a bit of water change again to reduce the ammonia the dead algae caused.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am i right in saying newts dont live in the water 24/7? i'd rather not disturb them if i can help it..what about barley straw? i have heard its great with blanket weed n algae and doesnt upset the chemistry of the pond...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Am i right in saying newts dont live in the water 24/7? i'd rather not disturb them if i can help it..what about barley straw? i have heard its great with blanket weed n algae and doesnt upset the chemistry of the pond...
Mine do. I have a ton of them. About every 15 minutes, they come up for air.

Ask a Question