Night lily!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i ordered night water lily last week and got it on Thursday. The plant came with two buds, one already spent and one just bloom tonight!!

I waited till almost 9pm for it to finally bloom.

This is actually a red lily.

image.jpg

And with brighter flash....wondering how to take pic that can show how red it actually is!!
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks :) it's called Red Flare. It supposed to be a little fragrant, I have not smell it. It's still blooming this morning, YEY!!!!!

I didn't realized that it's tropical when ordered... So it's not going to survive to next year.

Wondering if anyboy has them and can tell me more about its hardiness or what can I do it keep them inside?

@tbendl i guess I couldn't share this one with you next year since its not hardy in my zone 7!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I managed to winter one over last winter in an aquarium. I had 4 but only one came back.

Boo.... Thanks for sharing :( it's pretty sad but I guess I can get more next year and get a different kind ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is there a hardy or hardier night blooming water lily that can last in zone 7? From your experience.

Reaction score
I have a similar looking lily. Mine stays open till the sun is directly on it and it closes and then reopens the next night. You can try to snap a picture early morning. That's when I get my pictures.

My lily grows like mad over the summer. Takes up almost my whole pond. I started with one and I have so many now. I keep dividing them up and putting them in pots. I guess I live in the ideal climate for this plant.

Because I have so many I often run out of space and stick them in my indoor tanks (my smallest lily). Some survive, some do not, they need good light, my tank lights are not great (cheapest I could find), but if you find a good light you should be fine. I have one in my tank that's been for months now.

If you have some sort of container/stock tank you could put the big plant in there with a minnow or two to keep it fertilized and and rig some light over it.

Good luck! I find they are dormant in 'winter' here (dormant as in just a few leaves and not many flowers), which isn't really winter, but I guess they just take a rest. I thought mine had died, but as soon as it got HOT again, it went crazy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Priscilla. I think I'll try that. I have a tank with good lights (for planted tank) but it's only 55 gallon so will see if it'll be big enough come winter :)

Reaction score
I've had a huge lily in a 35 gall stock tank. It was filled with guppies and everyone was happy. It got too big so I moved it back to the big pond, I have two small lilies in there now but having problems with string algae, I need to deal with that asap.

Ask a Question