No Idea Where to Start

Reaction score
Country
United States
I picked up this pond for free as my wife has been wanting one for quite some time. Its 5 ft x 4 ft and 2 ft deep and is 300 Gallons (pic attached). Obviously first step is to find a place and dig a hole. However how do I go about finding a good place? I want to think that with a pond the amount of sun might affect some things.

My front yard gets full sun pretty much all day. I have attached a sun chart. The Yellow line to the right is where the sunrises. The orangish line is where the sun is at 10:30AM and the red line is where the sunsets. My wife wants it near the front porch area. Can a pond do well in a full sun enviroment or is some shade required?

My wife would like some plants and a few goldfish in this pond. So what all is needed? Thanks
14433144_688243737995160_5358397907397286824_n.jpg
sun chart.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

Depends on where you live for that small pond being in full sun. If you live where it gets very hot in Summer it could cook the fish. You could plant some shade plants so the fish can have a place to enjoy when it gets hot.
Here in western Washington we don't have to worry much about too much sun or too much cold. The pond can freeze also. Would be helpful to know where you live.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome!
Full sun is fine but you would have to be careful as j.w mentioned about the water temperature in summer. Goldfish can tolorate quite high water temperature for a short period of time (with lots of air stone).
I would find the location you want (doesnt matter the sun) then dig the hole then plant some smaller tree near it to shade it from afternoon sun a bit. Also plant lotus and water lily to cover the surface of the water. those will help (my sun got full sun, lily pads help so much). there are ways to shade the pond :)

Oh, try to find a place that doesnt get runoff from the lawn, especially if you fertilize / use chemical for the lawn.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Texas - might need some afternoon shade.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planning on putting it near the front porch and besides the pond plants I am thinking of some type of bush. Thanks for the input so far.

As far as pumps and filters what would be required for 300 gallons. I want to say I read somewhere that the GPH needed is half of your pond size but if there are going to be plants and fish I am not sure if that changes.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've got a larger pond but also have a small bathtub pond that gets sun in the afternoon here. Have water lilies, mares tail and parrots feather and an air stone running. No filter as I just do water in, water out now and then. I use it as a new fish quarantine pond and the fish do fine w/o a filter. I like to turn pond water to match the size of my pond. You can do half but I choose more. My 2400gal pond has two pumps. One is a Laguna 4200 for my water fall and a Pondmaster 2400 attached to my filter.

You may have a problem w/critters trying to get your fish. I have had to net my pond as the Great Blue Heron will visit. Snakes might be a problem in some areas or raccoons, cats etc.

IMG_7454.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
What type of filter are you thinking? I cant really help you with filter since I use bog as my main filter. Bog filter is just a big space filled with gravels (small size) with lots of plants, you plumb the pipe so the water flow up ward, through the gravel and plant roots and back to the pond.
there are lots of DIY filter out there. also something you can buy too (more expensive).

Reaction score
Country
United States
I honestly have no idea what kind or type of filter. I will have to do some research on that. Hell I dont even know what size pump to get. Super newbie here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ok i'll give you an easy understanding of basic pond water chemistry :) for when you start your pond

Biological filter - Every new pond goes through the 'cycle' period. Those period is called a nitrogen cycle. when you have fish, fish waste (and all other critters in your pond, you will get them, dont worry.) and decompose plants create 'ammonia'. Ammonia is toxic to fish. To get rid of the ammonia, nature create this bacteria that eat ammonia and turn them into Nitrite. Nitrite is also toxic to fish, so nature create another bacteria that eat Nitrite and turn it into Nitrate. Nitrate is safest but can be toxic in large amount. Plants take Nitrate, that's why planting in the pond is beneficial. You can do water change to reduce Nitrate when you need to.

The whole nitrogen cycle can take 6-8 weeks. During this time you will see lots of changes in your pond water. Algae, murky water.... dont be panic, it's a process all pond goes through, if it bothers you, you can do 25% water change. And then one day your water will turn to clear you'll think it's magic :blackalien: or alien came by and change the water for you :LOL:.

Those bacteria lives in every surface of the pond, the more surface, the more place for bacteria to grow. That's why filter has that 'filter media' or 'biological media', those are for the bacteria to grow on to. You dont have to buy expensive stuff, lava rocks would do :) So - The filter is just to get your pond water to go through those biological media so the ammonia and nitrite and get turn into nitrate.

But there is also this thing call 'mechanical filter' which filter out solid waste like fish poop and leaves and things that fell into the water. Some people use quilt batting / furnace pad for that. Mechanical media should come before biological media.

You can easily make DIY filter, youtube has lots of example. The basic idea is to get water from the pond, pump it through mechanical filter, then to biological filter, then back to the pond.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
For the overall health of your pond, it is recommended that the total volume of water be circulated 1.5 to 2 times per hour. For your pond of 300 gallons, this would mean a pump rated for 450 gph to 600 gph. Mechanical filtration should be sized based on expected organic debris i.e. leaf drop. Biological filtration should be sized based on expected eventual fish load.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!
Agree you will need some shade. That pond is going to get hot.

Ask a Question