Noisey Waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I spent the past year building my pond structure. It is part above and part below ground. It has a bottom drain that goes into a skimmer. The pump is in the skipper. Water flows from the skimmer to the water-fall filter and back into the pond. It has about a 3 foot drop into the pond.

I finally got to turn it on today. I had thought about leaks, but I never considered noise. It sounds like the Hoover Dam! I am afraid my neighbors are not going to be happy listening to my pond every time they use their yards.
So, I am trying to think of a way to make it a little quieter. For one thing, I bought the EasyPro TH25050 pump. I had estimated my pond size to be 2500 gallons. But, using the 5 gallon bucket technique (time to fill 5 gallon bucket in proportion to filling the pond) it worked out to 1,500 gallons. I think the pump is too big for the pond. I did put a ball valve on the pump. Can I use it to regulate the flow or will it damage the pump if I decrease the flow? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I know nothing about pumps.

Other than flow, its water hitting water. I don’t know what else I can do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

new 1.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I often adjust my stream flow and, as a consequence, noise levels with a ball valve. Probably have run it at a slower rate for several weeks at a time. Never had a problem...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you post a picture of your waterfall - we may be able to give some structural suggestions.

Also - best way to measure volume is by knowing the measurements of your pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pump is to big for my filter and I just put in a T fitting and added a ball valve and direct part of the water into the pond and it helps move water around on the bottom of the pond and keeps it cleaner .I regulate the ball valve for the amount of water and part goes to a spitter in the waterfall pond also .I just clamp the pvc pipe to my hose .I use sump pump hose .

Attachments

• sump pump hose connected in pond 006.JPG
    sump pump hose connected in pond 006.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 255

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you regulate it to much you can burn a pump out .I just figured I had the water so use it to my advantage .The waterfall spitter helps aerator and the hose on the bottom keeps the stuff from accumulating on the bottom of the pond .It is easy to set up as long as you have the pieces of pipe with you at the store you can match up sizes

Attachments

• sunny day 015.JPG
    sunny day 015.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 312

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I've had to 'tune' my waterfall before due to loud/harsh noise. Sometimes leaving it off, it's great during the day, but only 20 feet from the bedroom window sometimes at night it gets loud. You can get different sounds from how it spills over the edge.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I spoke with a guy at EasyPro Support (they have great support, BTW). He said “with your model pump it is not a problem to regulate the flow”. I don’t know if that means it is ok for all pumps, so I mention it here.

I turned down the flow and increased the water level. The sound is reasonable and I am greatly relieved. Thanks for the replies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You will not hurt the pump as long as the valve is on the exit side of the pump.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
IMAG2687~01.jpg
my pump does 2,000gph over the waterfall: it is a soft sound. but i did add a "T"joint and diverter-valve to run a separate 4" pipe directly to pond (instead of waterfall). but neighbors not complain, so i run w-f 24/7.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
meyer, ah, yes. after it leaves skippy filter, it gravity flows to diverter. to waterfall or direct to pond, so pump and filter runs full 24/7, but can adjust volume to waterfall without decreasing recycling volume.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United States
i don't know, but i'm guessing if you limit water FROM pump it would harm pump: back-pressure. the pump is trying to pump, but cannot because it is limited. let pump run full, and divert part of water bypassing waterfall.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Reasonable back pressure on a pump will not harm it. In fact, most water pumps perform at highest efficiency with some back pressure (head). As long as the pump is not allowed to overheat, there should be no damage.

Ask a Question