Now this I like!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A Texas company has developed a cost-effective filter that recovers nutrients, such as phosphates and nitrates. It is a sustainable gel from made from shrimp shells. It is still in testing phase but shows promising results. Initial testing shows that it is capable of a 99.9% removal rate of these two (2) nutrients. It can be regenerated up to three (3) times. When it is no longer usable it can be tossed in the compost pile as it is 100% biodegradable.
Hopefully one of the large Pond supply manufacturers will latch on to this and offer it to the pond community......SOON!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Would really be interested in something like this in the UK but like everything else we tend to get the really good stuff last in this country

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hmm, a small amount of N and P are still required for a healthy ecosystem, so I guess we'll have to start educating people that sometimes a pond can be too clean?

Is this gel a carbon dosing product that encourages specific bacterial growth?

Reaction score
.....a cost-effective filter that recovers nutrients, such as phosphates and nitrates. ......... When it is no longer usable it can be tossed in the compost pile as it is 100% biodegradable.
Hmmmm,,,, So I sort of use it the way I use my water hyacinths,,,, except I'm guessing this "shrimp gel" can't generate copies of itself, provide cover and a place for fish to lay eggs, absorb heavy metals, or produce lovely purple flowers.
Still, as long as there are people who continue to by "bottled bacteria" I sure there will be a market for it. ;) (y)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Is this gel a carbon dosing product that encourages specific bacterial growth?
Still, as long as there are people who continue to by "bottled bacteria" I sure there will be a market for it

This acts as an adsorbant similar to Zeolite and Activated Charcoal. No biological activity involved.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States

Nope, no hoax. This is a Chitosan based product. A simple search will reveal that chitosan is used for many different applications where adsorption is desired such as agriculture, medicine, water treatment, consumer products, etc. It has even been researched as a food additive for fish.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads