OK, Finaly, Pictures of My 1st Pond Build

Reaction score

This is the site location looking outside of my kitchen, notice my Home Depot plastic thing in the corner.

I know, sort of cramped, but at least I can view the pond from my kichen, bed room and patio. This view is from my bedroom. I went big on the filtration

This view is from my kitchen

Digging like a mad man, actually, the digging was the easiest part of the project

Doing some transome/leveling work, my daughter would rather be somewhere else. She dosen't feel the enjoyment of the project like my wife and I.

Some final measuring and sand, 38 inches at deep end. I guesstimate about 1100 gallons

Spreading of the felt underlayment, helper number 2 (temporary)

Some hand picked rocks from a local creek, one of many loads, boy I saved thousands by not purchacing from a nursury.

Fitting the liner

Laying the rocks and tucking the liner

Some more rocks

Our little helper

Some plumbing

A break with my tempory helper number 1

Trying to figure out the falls

Getting there

Some of the dirt, a challenge trying to get ride of

Theres always a solution

A finished pond, or should I say the start of an enjoyable hobby.

I will continue with a few more
Thanks for viewing

David Less

Reaction score
A couple of more photos

Some plant landscaping

A close up of my falls, I didn't step it with large flat stones like many do, but I like the way it turned out. It's a little quieter this way, especially when supplying with a 4000 GPH pump.

Over all My wife and I are quite pleased with our 2 week vacation project. So far I don't think I have any leaks. The loss of about 1/4" of water each day is due to evaporation (I hope). Its been in the 90's here.

Need to get more plants and a couple more fish, soo expensive at the nursury's.

Thanks again for viewing

David

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice job! You picked a perfect spot for your new pond. Extra filtration is always good.

Reaction score
Nice pond. I love all the rocks. I see the two prescription bottles sitting next to the pond are those the pain killers your doctor gave you for all the sore muscles? :)

Reaction score
Nova said:
Nice pond. I love all the rocks. I see the two prescription bottles sitting next to the pond are those the pain killers your doctor gave you for all the sore muscles? :)

No, actually it is some fish food, I felt great doing the work, felt better than standing on concrete all day at my day job.

Thanks,

David

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That was so much fun watching you build step by step.
I was engrossed in it. I love your assortment of nice rocks and you found lots of flat ones too.
It turned out very pretty and that is a perfect spot for it.
Your daughter even had a smile on her face when sitting by it w/ you :regular_waving_emot

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Nice looking Pond and all the Pics to prove it
Good Job !!

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Really nice pond, David, and lovely family, including the pooch! Just think of all the fun family gatherings you'll be enjoying soon around the pond. Bet the kiddos will be bringing their friends around to see it and telling them how much they helped.

And I predict some of that pretty green grass will disappear one day as you expand the pond.:lol:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
99.9% better than the old pond.:lol: LOL At least it did have water in it. Very nice job, and That's a nice japanese maple too.

Reaction score
I gotta tell everyone, this pond experiense has been nothing but great. My wife and I are just loving it. :heartpump: I have 2 Shubucks, 2 connely's and one baby koi (growing like a weed). They all have such great personalities, we watch them whenever we can. Quite differant than watching from an aquarium. They are so happy and full of energy and joy. :razz:

My water is so clear I can see the bottom, other than a little worry after about 10 days (going green) it has realy cleared up nicely. The only thing I've done is add a little more benificial bact during the green phase, (knock on wood). At first I was all worried about uv lights, chemical etc, but mother nature seems to be handling it quite well. I don't even have more the 30% plant coverage either. Maybe using an extra large bio falls and skimmer helps, or turing the water over more than twice per hour (4000gph pump flow reduced to about 3000gph,1100 gal size pond). I'm not going to over anylyze, just enjoy it.

I'm not sure why peple spend big money on large koi. I think it is more rewarding to watch them grow from babies.

You know at first I was depressed about how big the pond was when I first put the liner in, I had wished I didn't make it so big, and would have changed the shape some. I was confused about the comments everyone was telling me how people always wished they would have gone bigger. But and its a big but, after everythig is done and the plants and fish are growing and I'm enjoying it, I wish I could have gone bigger.

Anyway, thanks for veiwing and all of your nice commments.

Can't wait for the frogs to come, I hope soon. When I was a kid I would spend hours upon hours catching frogs and turtles at the local pond. I maybe reliving my childhood.

David :goldfish:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You did a great job and now you can sit back and enjoy it and I agree watching my fish grow over the years has been great .My first 2 koi aggie and bert were only a couple of inches long 7 years ago and are now over 2 feet long and they have acquired such great personalities that ends up making them my favorite 2 of the bunch .I like my butterflies and fancy tails but the cutes are my fantail goldfish I call them my little fat butt wigglers .You may regret that frog wish once they get there ,I had to put out a concrete tub with water in it for them to lay there eggs in .I had so many tadpoles they clogged up the filter .I like how you put your pond near the patio facing the waterfall so you can watch it ' I can spend hours watching mine but then have to remind my self I have a yarden to take care of too .You need a hammock there so you can take a nap near the pond .My uncle lived in Buffalo and worked for GM

Ask a Question