Old Lou Temporary Sinsus Remedy

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
If your sinuses are troubling and you have no sinus medication vertically spread a dab of Vicks VapoRub aka mentholated topical cream on each sinus area and under the nose. You may also want to spread a dab horizontally above each eye brow. I have found this provides temporary relief. Repeat as necessary.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love Vicks for helping open a blocked nose. And it works great for blocking out smells that you don't want to smell too. If someone or something is stinky just put a dab of Vicks under your nose. Works wonders

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If your sinuses are troubling and you have no sinus medication vertically spread a dab of Vicks VapoRub aka mentholated topical cream on each sinus area and under the nose. You may also want to spread a dab horizontally above each eye brow. I have found this provides temporary relief. Repeat as necessary.

Where are the sinus areas? Not a clue here. I've only ever put it just below my nostrils.

Definitely going to try it. Ugh, I essentially stop breathing through my nose from around March until October due to terrible sinus congestion. Tried everything... Netti pot, shots, steroids, prescription meds.. Really sucks... It's the only reason why it is tough for me to get good sleep during this time of year since i hate being a mouth breather, except I'm told its the best to be when sleeping... I guess Farming is not the best occupation for me, but not going to let a stuffy nose stop me from enjoying what I do... Although, sometimes, food does seem to taste different due to my nose issue. ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Where are the sinus areas? Not a clue here. I've only ever put it just below my nostrils.

Definitely going to try it. Ugh, I essentially stop breathing through my nose from around March until October due to terrible sinus congestion. Tried everything... Netti pot, shots, steroids, prescription meds.. Really sucks... It's the only reason why it is tough for me to get good sleep during this time of year since i hate being a mouth breather, except I'm told its the best to be when sleeping... I guess Farming is not the best occupation for me, but not going to let a stuffy nose stop me from enjoying what I do... Although, sometimes, food does seem to taste different due to my nose issue. ;)

Place the VapoRub about 1 inch away from each side of your nose staring just above your upper teeth vertically to just below where your cheek meets the eye socket bone. Also place a dab horizontally across the top of each eye brow. You may want to use a dust or heavy duty nose and mouth mask when working outdoors. Best to you.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Place the VapoRub about 1 inch away from each side of your nose staring just above your upper teeth vertically to just below where your cheek meets the eye socket bone. Also place a dab horizontally across the top of each eye brow. You may want to use a dust or heavy duty nose and mouth mask when working outdoors. Best to you.

Very good! Thanks for the prompt response.

Yeah, I do my best with the masks, but, ugh... I end up wearing it most of the day working the fields. Drives me crazy. I still get around 5 hours of sleep, which seems fine enough, except it somewhat makes waking up not feel so comfortable. Bah, I just shake it off.. Get some coffee... Step outside... Feel the sun on me... I am good to go. :) ... Except on the days when its really bad... Taking a short hour nap in a hot pickup or on the tail gate on a hot day is the best. :sleep:

Here lately, past few days, drainage and sneezing driving me crazy and I am tired of taking medications... :sour:

So, definitely doing your suggestion here. I'm willing to try anything.

Thank ya sir.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Very good! Thanks for the prompt response.

Yeah, I do my best with the masks, but, ugh... I end up wearing it most of the day working the fields. Drives me crazy. I still get around 5 hours of sleep, which seems fine enough, except it somewhat makes waking up not feel so comfortable. Bah, I just shake it off.. Get some coffee... Step outside... Feel the sun on me... I am good to go. :) ... Except on the days when its really bad... Taking a short hour nap in a hot pickup or on the tail gate on a hot day is the best. :sleep:

Here lately, past few days, drainage and sneezing driving me crazy and I am tired of taking medications... :sour:

So, definitely doing your suggestion here. I'm willing to try anything.

Thank ya sir.

What crops do you grow?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I use saline nasal spray (over the counter) it helps with nasal congestion.

Excellent. I stopped using nasal sprays since the ones I encounter were type of instant reaction medication or steroids, which seemed to make things worse.

I will see if I can get a saline nasal spray.

Thanks.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
What crops do you grow?

On my land, just various sorghums, yellow corn, and winter wheat, that is all processed for livestock feed. Variety of crops other farmers in this area grow for commercial purposes are sunflowers for oil (often involving bees for pollination), cotton, pumpkins, onions, soybeans, and alfalfa.

Corn has started to tassel and will be in heavy pollination soon. I have to always wear a canister air mask when I walk through due to the pollen. The pollen is so thick that I often come out of the corn field painted yellow.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Ok, here we go. Got the saline spray. Got the Vicks. Interesting spray due to the combination of salts they use; I might have been using the wrong salt formulas with the netti pot.

Squirted the saline spray up the nostrils.

Vicks dabbed on the aforementioned sinus areas like I am an indian warrior ready to tomahawk this nose congestion.

Going in like a :ninja:.

Nose Congestion. :punch: I have only one last thing to say to nasal congestion ... .... .... :finger: :sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some excellent advice here! I've had sinusitis in the past and it's miserable - can take ages to shift. I found that in addition to the above suggestions, menthol crystals also work quite well (I suppose it's like a concentrated Vicks) - you sprinkle a few into a bowl of hot water and breathe the vapours. Got to keep your eyes closed though because it can sting!

My sister-in-law has bad congestion at the moment and she's been using one of those de-congestant nasal sprays - but she has been using for months when you're only meant to use them for a few days! She's now dependant on it, and doesn't want to wean herself off. Madness.

Ask a Question