Old pond beside entrance of house with waterfall of natural rocks ~ now for aesthetic beauty and tra

Reaction score
Big problem here in Miami with concrete pond that was built in 1988 ~ since using chlorine the motors do not last long and sediment (like sand --?) builds up which maybe from using chlorine and cakes up on the motors. Baffled as to what to do.

I put chlorine tablets in the water to keep it clean and discourage huge Buffo frogs with which we had a problem when Koi were in the pond. I am thinking that the chlorine breaks down the natural rocks on the waterfall (?) and perhaps creates a breakdown of the concrete walls of the pond? What to do? ?? Have considered a jackhammer to get rid of this pond and replace with a small fiberglass pond ? But what could I use in the water to keep the Buffos away???

I grew up 65 years ago with a beautiful lily pond as a child in Georgia and love having the sight and sounds of water !!!! I love this pond ~ Can it be refinished? Can someother type chemical be used to discourage those poisonous frogs for dogs ( I have a wonderful hound dog)?

Any ideas will be deeply appreciated as to how I might continue enjoying a waterfall and nice small pond !!!! (Will try to post a photo.......not computer savvy).....THANKs !!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all, HELLO, and WELCOME! Gotta say that is the longest title I've ever seen ! :) Loving the image of your childhood lily pond -- what a nice memory for you.

Well, first of all, we need a little more information about your pond. Sounds like you have one made of concrete, but are having problems with your pumps due to chlorine. Are you adding the chlorine (like in a swimming pool) or is it highly chlorinated source water? Sounds like you are adding it to keep out the frogs & toads. How big is it (and how deep) and do you know how many gallons it holds? Does it leak at all? Except for the sediment/pump problem, are you happy with the pond?

No fish? Are you wanting to grow plants (water lilies) in your pond?

I personally don't care for concrete ponds, and if it was me, and I had the time & resources (money and someone to do the work), I would go with a liner pond or pre-form. But a lot of that depends on how big your current pond is and what would be involved to convert it. And unfortunately, I think frogs & toads are going to happen.

Reaction score
If the pond was built around 1988, was it built in the same manner as in ground swimming pools of the time?

Are your rocks on the waterfall local coral and/or limestone?

What kind of pumps are you using?

Do you filter the water before you top off the pond?

I suspect the sediment build up you are seeing is the same you see in your ice maker or your coffee machine. Just faster in the pond due to amount of water going through the pump in a short period of time.

Changing the construction of the pond won't change the sediment.

Raising the above ground height of your pond will help a lot to keep frogs out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Straight smooth sides above ground so the frogs can't jump/climb up. ow you will need to do a tight net over the pond to keep the frogs out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I wonder if salting the pond would be better .They do sell a paint on restorer for cement ponds .Expensive though .You may be better with a liner pond .Liners can be gotten cheap ..It could be more like calcium is causing the problem .Yep we sure need more info to keep your doggie safe .We love our doggies here and our pets .

Ask a Question